Perth Sports & Outdoors Tips by Gwynneth
Perth Sports & Outdoors: 42 reviews and 52 photos
The Webb Ellis Cup - the Holy Grail for the rugby
A little history...
Rugby World Cup was conceived in late 1983 when the Australian Rugby Union and the New Zealand Rugby Football Union wrote to the International Rugby Board requesting a World Cup tournament.
Australia's Sir Nicholas Shehadie and New Zealand's Dick Littlejohn were elected joint committee chairmen. 1987 was chosen as the most suitable year to stage the inaugural Rugby World Cup.
The IRB approved for the inaugural Rugby World Cup to be jointly staged in Australia and New Zealand in May and June of 1987.
Rugby World Cup 1987 consisted of 16 invited countries with both semi-finals to be played in Australia with the final and third/fourth play-off matches to be both played in New Zealand.
Rugby World Cup 1987 was broadcast to 17 countries and had a cumulative audience of 300 million people.
From this small beginning, each subsequent Rugby World Cup has been a roaring success with each tournament registering commercial and broadcast records to clearly be positioned as the world's third most popular and biggest sports event behind the Olympic Games and the FIFA World Cup.
... And now...
Unlike the 16 invited finalists in 1987, Rugby World Cup 2003 will involve 20 teams with the eight quarter-finalists from 1999 gaining automatic entry.
The best thing about World Cup Rugby 2003 is that this year Perth - Western Australia, is being put on the International map by being a host City! Some have said Perth is dull and unexciting... but then that could be their state of mind!
England vs South Africa was the one to watch on 18th October 2003. If you would like to see more of the World Cup Rugby Calendar this link will take you there.
Theme: Sports Watching
To swim with a whale shark (Rhincodon Typus), the biggest member of the shark family, will be an unforgettable, mind-blowing experience and I hope to take it soon!
Exmouth and the Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia is an exotic dive destination. The waters are warm and tropical, the constant sunshine and phenomenal marine life... but best of all, the whale sharks are almost guaranteed in March and April.
Whale sharks arrive in March coinciding with the coral spawning (or red tides as it is known to the locals). Most of these visiting whale sharks are immature males. It remains an intriguing puzzle why this particular section of the population visits our coast.
Whale sharks will grow to over 12 metres in length, which is about the size of a large bus!! They are a TOTALLY protected species.
Equipment: Bring Your Common Sense!
- Boats must observe a 250 metre radius 'contact zone' around whale sharks. Only one vessel at a time may operate in a contact zone, for a period not exceeding 90 minutes, and during that time must stay at least 30 metres from the shark.
- If a second vessel arrives at a contact zone, it must stand off at least 250m. Any further vessels must stay at least 400m away from the fish.
- People swimming with whale sharks must not touch or ride on the animal. Swimmers must stay one metre clear of the fish's head or body, and four metres away from its tail flukes.
Address: Coach services available to Exmouth
Directions: The Outback Coast Area, 'Gascoyne' Region
Ningaloo is approximately 1200 kilometres North of Perth, the capital city of Western Australia.
Other Contact: E-Mail: email@example.com
Phone: Toll Free 1800 287 328
Theme: Scuba Diving
More Reviews (34)
- See All VT Perth Farewells Greyphoenix!
- See All Crystal Topas Waters
- See All Movies Under the Stars
- See All Obessions with Renovating!
- See All Lid Down
- See All Celebrity Encounter
Gwynneth's Related Pages
Perth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Perth - Western Australia"
- "Perth - Home of Lovely Beaches & Awesome Sunsets"
- "Here in Western Australia-Perth"
- "My Home - PERTH"
- "Perth...A Home Away From Home"
- "Perth's Newest Hotel , Holiday Inn Burswood"
- "The city on the Swan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Perth
- Hotels in Perth
- Transportation in Perth
- Nightlife in Perth
- Restaurants in Perth
- Shopping in Perth
- Warnings and Dangers in Perth
- See All...
Explore the World
- Burwell Hotels
- Detwang Hotels
- Sevenoaks Hotels
- Grand Lake
- Noventa di Piave Hotels
Badges & Stats in Perth
- 36 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 290 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Perth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Perth
Photos in PerthSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Perth Intro, 36 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Subiaco Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia and Oceania Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Cairo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos
- Broome Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Thailand Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (32)
Latest Perth hotel reviews
- Novotel Langley Perth
- 604 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Raffles Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 12, 2013
- Lancelin Lodge YHA
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2013
- YMCA Jewell House
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Exclusive Backpackers
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2012
- Comfort Hotel Perth City
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Indian Ocean Hotel Perth
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Globe Backpackers
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Medina Grand Perth
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Townsend Lodge
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Emperor's Crown Backpackers Hostel
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Metro Hotel Perth
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Flag Motor Lodge
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013
- Rose & Crown Hotel Swan Valley
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- City Centre- 62 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Kings Park- 106 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Rottnest Island- 44 Reviews, 67 Photos
- AQWA - Under Water World- 16 Reviews, 26 Photos
- The Pinnacles- 20 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Fremantle- 50 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Caversham Wildlife Park- 15 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Bell Tower- 27 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Cottesloe- 24 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Zoo- 27 Reviews, 43 Photos
See All Perth Things to Do