"Kunming - with Joo" Kunming by l_joo
Kunming Travel Guide: 606 reviews and 1,430 photos
Just a photo
This photo on top is taken next to our hostel posing with two minority’s women. They by hand-carried to sell their traditional handmade garments at the pavement. The big square tablecloth on my hand was made by them. It cost me 40 Yuan while the small pieces cost 15 Yuan.
I have so far visited Kunming twice. The first time we stayed at the HUMP (now closed down, I don't know why) and second time at Chahua hostel, a place for backpackers and foreign individual tourist FIT.
What we did here?
Walking around in the city centre to look for a travel agent for air tickets to Bangkok. Later I think we fall into a trap well-arranged by some roadside ear-diggers. They are peoples who provide services to clean up your ears with a price tag RMB2. We saw a fatty businessman sit down to have his ear clean up with only RMB2. Why don't have a try, since it cost not much. 5 of us decided to have a try and wow the feeling was beyond imagination. After digging and clearing, one of them says ‘Oh, your ears are so dirty, it has a big piece of ear-dust need to be cleared immediately. It cost only RMB20 each.’ Upon hearing that I knew it was their tricky strategy to earn tourists’ money, I said "No I don't want" He pretends my voice did not count but to keep digging until he say "Ok, it's all cleared now and it cost RMB60 because you have 3 big ear-dusts"
We certainly refuse to pay them, therefore quarrelling is unavoidable. We quarreled so loud, one of us makes a phone call 110 to police station. Approximately 5 minutes later, police car came with the siren and brought together a big crowd to gaze at us like a circus show. Upon hearing the siren, those ear-diggers already vanished.
In Kunming I can shop just like any other cities, but the size of this city is too big, very tire to walk by legs. We need a bicycle to ride, I saw many tourists renting bicycles. Many less highlighted back streets have many things worth looking at. Muslim peoples selling grapes and raisins on the street. Just so many things, I couldn't remember that much. Too many to write in just a page. I saw a KFC, jam-packed with customers. Another shop with another style of fried chicken, also full of customers.
This is right in the middle of Kunming city center. Everywhere we go, it’s so crowded. I saw so many tourists, big buildings, big hotels, big supermarkets, heavy traffic jams, etc. City buses are very convenience. For shopping, this is a good place.
Kunming is a good place for shopping. There are many shops selling some local made products, so I think it's time to do... more travel advice
This is my Off the beaten path in Kunming. We took a local city bus to somewhere unknown, so here we are, sitting down... more travel advice
l_joo's Related Pages
Kunming Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kunming - the Spring City in the Southwest"
- "Vigi in KUNMING - Sep2003"
- "Sharrie's Kunming Eternal Spring"
- "City of Eternal Spring"
- "Kunming - The Eternal Spring City"
- "Kunming - the spring city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kunming
- Hotels in Kunming
- Transportation in Kunming
- Nightlife in Kunming
- Restaurants in Kunming
- Shopping in Kunming
- Warnings and Dangers in Kunming
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kunming
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 55 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Kunming?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kunming
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 369 reviews, 499 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 109 reviews, 431 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 204 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dengfeng Intro, 6 reviews, 253 photos, 30 travelogues
- Xiangfan Intro, 9 reviews, 191 photos, 19 travelogues
- Damansara Intro, 53 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amritsar Intro, 64 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gilgit Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos
- Harappa Intro, 54 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vientiane Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Latest Kunming hotel reviews
- Spring City Golf & Lake Resort
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 20, 2013
- Fairyland Hotel Express (Kunming Baida)
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- Green Lake Hotel
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Expo Garden Hotel (Si Bo Hua Yuan) Kunming
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Dynasty International (Hua Di Wang Chao) Kunming
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 4, 2011
- Kunming Hotel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2013
- The Hump Kunming
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Golden Dragon
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Kai Wah Plaza International
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Kunming Bank Hotel
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 19, 2013
- BaoShan Hotel Kunming
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 6, 2012
- Grand Park Kunming
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013