"Matisi" Matisi by l_joo

Matisi Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 36 photos

What I think
In travel website such as VT, if a location I build or you build successfully accepted by travel agents, they would start bringing peoples there and slowly the place will for 99% certainty becoming polluted, especially in remote rural areas of under-developing countries. I saw quite a few beautiful places being turned into garbage dumping site, so I hope this page and most of my pages that I built won't repeat the same. I remember a location in my country, a beautiful beach with turtles come to lay eggs, 20 years of tourism completely destroyed the entire nature, you don't want to know what the place look now, the turtles are almost into extinction and its now a sad story.

Matisi is actually Ma (horse) Ti (horse shoes) Si (temple). Local inhabitants are Tibetans, altitude here quite high but don't ask me the exact height, I felt that when I saw the mountains and when I hike the hill of the millet fields. To come here wasn't that easy, we came by public bus from Zhangye, very cheap bus far but forgotten the price. Bus drop us at only the tri-junction some 2km walking into the exact location of Tibetan village. Here I saw a complete unpolluted heaven. Road was long, so we hitchhike a bike, the biker was a nice Tibetan villager here, he sent us deep into the place, we paid him some money. Inside the beautiful Matisi, there I saw a real heaven of typical Tibetan grassland full of goats, the environment was top class. In front of me was greenery landscape, complete tranquility and the only to do was to laugh. Both Andy and me laugh and laugh, that's the way when I saw something so beautiful. It was that kind of laugh come out naturally through my sight organs.

The biker introduced his friend's horses to us for riding around, money of course. Temperature was quite low that day, definitely below 15C but I move a lot, so I could withstand the cold. The entire place look almost perfect without foreign tourists but, I can tell you right after this page, travel agents worldwide for sure would bring tourists here and each of them dump a mineral water bottle, a pack of cigarette box, some snack packs and many many, so that 2 years later when you return here, it was not the Matisi now, its something else. If you have time, take a look at my Longnusi page to see how they transform a heaven into a heaven of garbage. I could be the guilty one for creating pages on these beautiful locations but don't blame me, blame perhaps the invention of plastic products. The top main photo was what I saw at Matisi, I did not deliberately arrange the shot, it was everywhere on the grassland.

• Last visit to Matisi: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 17, 2005

Comments

l_joo

“No need to work meh, where got so good life to travel”

Badges & Stats in Matisi