"Tashkorgan" Taxkorgan by l_joo

Taxkorgan Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 115 photos

My favourite Western China
Tashkorgan is one of my top favourite place in the West of China also in the Karakoram Highway. Although I only spent 2 days in Tashkorgan but I am very sure I like this remote place so much, probably because hours ago we were still in a country full of religious control plus that incident that happened in the last town of Pakistan. The moment when our bus full of foreign tourists come to this little town of Tashkorgan where drinking the famous Xinjiang Beer in any Muslim restaurants is just normal, when so many women in colorful dresses, so tight so sexy and so beautiful. That moment I was in mad with Tashkorgan especially when I hold up my camera, those Tajik women smiles happily and they just stand politely for tourists to take photos. Do not even think to do this back in...oops. Two women tourists same bus with us couldn't wait to take off their unneccessary long robe, everybody was in joy as if we were birds out from the cage, what an unforgettable experience.

On Karakoram Highway
The photo here is taken on the highway itself when two of us trying to hitchhike a whatever to our next destination. While we waiting, I wanted this photo taken with this blue guidepost. Tashkorgan is a valley surrounded by vast mountain-chain such as this one in background. Dwellers of this valley majority belongs to ethnic Tajiks with Islam as religion but they are not rigid to force their women to not do so and so. If I have to pick a place among Xinjiang province for tourism, I would for sure, pick Tashkorgan.

The Stone City
In the town centre of Tashkorgan has an ancient ruin called the Stone City constructed many centuries ago by a Kingdom during their heyday. It was only left some walls such as this photo and the rest were just stones which I think collapsed from time to time. I observed closely at the way they built the wall, it wasn't stone but mud made. I haven't yet study its history but I can see the construction is left unprotected, not even a show of human except a lone VTer. The landscape around was crazy, particularly the endless mountain range and the huge valley.

Tajik women
Young ladies smiling for me to take their photos, I sincerely thank them for this. I still remember that particular morning was bright enough with strong sunlight, myself and Andy with camera on hand, can't wait to go around searching for the real enchanting Tashkorgan. On the main street saw so many colorful women in such Tajik costumes of brilliant colors. Among all, I found this photo to be the most memorable, yet pleasurable. They were just amazing because when I approach them, instead of shy or religious related reasons, they stand politely with sweat smiling faces plus looking so confidently at the camera. Before they go, we keep saying multiple thank you very much......

• Last visit to Taxkorgan: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2004

• illumina's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Great page - I really wish I'd had more time there!

• Apr 23, 2008 at 6:25 AM

Nice page! China is in my travel plans!!

• May 2, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Incredible beauty! I truly admire you for venturing there. Always wanted to go there but each time I planned the trip, it was never made.

• matthewmerrington's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2007 at 5:39 AM

awesome pages

• vagabond6's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2006 at 7:31 AM

Joo, you did a great job giving us a snapshot of traveling through Tashkorgan. What airport did you fly into in Pakistan or China and which airport did you leave from? Secondly, did you carry a laptop with you or might customs be a problem?

• Sep 24, 2006 at 2:20 AM

Thanks very much for all your inputs on Xinjiang esp that on Tashkorgan and Kashgar and Karakoram Highway. They were very helpful. I plan to go there next week. I will do a writeup too about my trip.

• shelnlin's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2004 at 1:33 AM

Joo, this page had me giggling all the way through it. I love your writing style and I was very surprised to see the Islamic alcohol... Very interesting country if not unique. Thanks for sharing it with me. :+)

• hanapatria's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2004 at 7:37 PM

I really like your Tashkorgan page, very facinating. How did you get there? How convenient or inconvenient to get around? What is the best time of the year?

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2004 at 3:16 PM

great photos of everyday life in a non-touristy destination!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 12:00 AM

This place sure seems Way off the beaten path!! Very interesting part of the world!!

l_joo

“No need to work meh, where got so good life to travel”

Badges & Stats in Taxkorgan

Have you been to Taxkorgan?

Latest Activity in Taxkorgan