"XiangFan" Xiangfan by l_joo

Xiangfan Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 193 photos

This page is built entirely on the spot.

First thing about Xiangfan is to read Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, is a historical novel set amidst the turbulent years near the end of the Han Dynasty (around year 169-280).

The outlook of Xiangyang is not much different from other towns or cities, it is the historical values that count and this historical values is about a man, Mr WoLong (see my Longzhong page). I came here to visit the historical site of Mr.WoLong and with another plan to visit the UNESCO World Heritage of the Taoist Wudang Mountain, 171km further west.

The name of this city is XiangYang《襄阳》 also known as XiangFan《襄樊》. (actually XiangYang but VT destination list only has a Xiangfan).

I came here by an overnight train, 14 hours, arriving 6am in the early morning, luckily the sky is already brighten up at 6am. I walked out the passage way enjoying the first look of the railway station, the moment I step outside I was a little surprise because none of the tourist-puller came to me. They stay quietly waiting for their passengers without chasing around like mad. I consider this an unusual culture of China, whatever it is I had a wonderful morning plus free and easy walking around the railway station taking photos freely. And so far I did not see yet a westerners in Xiangyang, the hotel lady boss told me they have got a Japanese guest yesterday and said seldom seen any foreigners.

Zhuge-Liang Square is a must if you visit Xiangyang, take a taxi 6yuan, this area is a completely new built modernism Xiangyang, with luxury high-rise condominium and huge shopping malls selling designer brands.

Finding a hotel is even more easy in XiangYang, I did not count but I can give you a rough numbers...50, absolutely no joking. Hotels are really crazy over here, just in front of the railway station and at both sides are all crammed with hotels, some big some small. Not only hotels, I saw at least 3 long distance bus stations around the railway station and also the local public bus station.

I stroll for a while searching for my breakfast, I then start to realize both sides are actually small hotels with many different names, the second image is me standing in front of the railway station. The price for a single bed room is 80yuan with internet and TV, bathroom attached and a/c. Other than railway station, hotels can be found also at other parts of Xiangyang, staying nearby Zhuge-Liang Square is another good option.

Further strolling I noticed these peoples (in picture) acting as 'buyers' and 'seller'. I saw quite many of them in group (3 person each group), I noticed they are scattered all over the place, with one person sitting on a stool selling something unseen before (on the floor) and the other 2 guys standing, they are the 'acting buyers'. They start acting bargain when the moment they saw new faces walking by, same to other groups at another spot.

I saw also hand-pushing stalls selling fruits, suddenly the hotel owner came to tell me not to buy fruits from those fruits stalls because according to the hotel owner these peoples are selling 'improper' fruits. I did not spend time to figure out what they meant by 'improper' fruits.

Overall ratings for the area around the railway station is very low from me, hygienic conditions are near worst and road surface are bad too, with many brokens and cracks, rubbish all over the back streets.

• Last visit to Xiangfan: Dec 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 26, 2012

Comments

l_joo

“No need to work meh, where got so good life to travel”

Badges & Stats in Xiangfan

Have you been to Xiangfan?

Latest Activity in Xiangfan