"Zhongdian" Zhongdian by l_joo
Zhongdian Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 264 photos
Its me with little Lama and my travel companion KKC doing his sketching of scenery ZhongDian. I'm wearing the little Lama’ hat and ask whether he wants to wear mine, he shook his head. These Tibetans don't speak Mandarin probably due to…you know but body-language can be useful.
Dry rocky yellowish linear mountainous terrains without much development, extremely good-looking. Peaceful feel with cold winds thin air and sometimes Tibetan yaks appeared in a distance. Roads are near empty, inhabitants are loose, slower and quiet. For tourism, I rate 90+ points out of 100.
Walking on the street will cause dizziness because of its high altitude, very hard breathing especially at night. I woke many times just to get more air inhale.
I can remember we stayed at a hotel of Tibetans style, fully decorated with Tibetans fundamentals and colors.
While we were queuing to buy tickets at the bus station, my friend's wallet was stolen, later we ended up in the police station drinking tea and making report, from there we learned how to call 110 from the public phone.
This Tibetan man together with many other Tibetans cycle rounded the entire village as a form of praying.
The best memory I had was the bus driver drove us from Zhongdian to Lijiang. Halfway we stopped for lunch at a small restaurant. Roadside foods are nearly tasteless but that’s okay. After eating, some passengers getting mouth itchy by talking about world politics. The driver suddenly join in saying something like this "We are the poorest country in the world, our government couldn't control the birth rate. So many peoples kept their extra descendants secretly inside villages so that nobody knows. China has more than 12 billions but 14 or 15 billions are possible." We told him about our travel in Laos where peoples are much poorer than Chinese. The bus driver replies hopelessly "Chinese to match up to Japan needs 5000 years and to compare with USA requires another 10000 years."
Because at 5000 meters above sea level, you'll find your lungs very hard to breath and the weather is extremely... more travel advice
Tibetians like to do this as something spiritual in the culture, I don't know much about this, but I can see they are... more travel advice
l_joo's Related Pages
Zhongdian Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ZhongDian - Blend in with the Nature!"
- "Shangri La?"
- "Yunnan Travel 2004 - ZhongDian"
- "The Holy Birds of Peace in Shangri-La"
- "A Mysterious Paradise"
- "Zhongdian is the last Shangri-la"
- "A type of world I'd never seen before..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zhongdian
- Hotels in Zhongdian
- Transportation in Zhongdian
- Nightlife in Zhongdian
- Restaurants in Zhongdian
- Shopping in Zhongdian
- Warnings and Dangers in Zhongdian
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zhongdian
- 10 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Zhongdian?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zhongdian
Photos in ZhongdianSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 369 reviews, 499 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 109 reviews, 431 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 204 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dengfeng Intro, 6 reviews, 253 photos, 30 travelogues
- Xiangfan Intro, 9 reviews, 191 photos, 19 travelogues
- Damansara Intro, 53 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amritsar Intro, 64 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gilgit Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos
- Harappa Intro, 54 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vientiane Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues