"Paris - by Joo" Paris by l_joo

Paris Travel Guide: 22,780 reviews and 56,442 photos

Paris what?
I’m not familiar with Paris, this page is from an Asian’s point of view more about my personal experience, nothing as you expect in your imagination. L_joo is a budget tourist merely spending 6 days in Paris, staying inside a cabin but the cost is nearly 4-star hotels in my country, Malaysia. Paris is certainly the destination for ‘marriage’ purposes back here in Malaysia where peoples spending honeymoon under the steel tower or near the big arch. I am a complete Paris blind when I visit. My opinion is that this city is big yet crowded. It has Mona Lisa in Louvre, tower and arch or probably artists plentiful. A football team PSG and they won the world cup 98.

How I got there, in Paris
I came from the direction of Bordeaux in the first time and second time from Amsterdam, both by coach. I didn't stay when I first came from Bordeaux bus stopover then I hopped on another bus to Brussels.

My campground cabin
Where was my campground? I couldn't remember the name of my campground that I spend few days there cooking myself with another roommate. That was a nice place to stay, a big grass field. There were cabins like rooms for tourists, a big washroom in the middle. Tourists with tent can look for a place to setup as base.

What I did there
Walking from the campground, it was a big fly-over bridge of train crossing, there was a bus stop but the bus only appear once in every half an hour, forget it. I walked 20 minutes to get the Metro but still I couldn't remember the name however I can remember this area is far away from city centre. Here I can see many fruit stalls along the roadside, very villagers' style. English language is almost of no use in Paris. I try to get someone to help me for a direction but nobody wants. Although some try to help but they only speak French, how do I know what they spoke? By using imagination, to nod my head to show them I can understand but actually I don’t. I can roughly by guessing their gestures and the pointing direction. Merci.

Paris peripatetic
I spent most my time in Paris by walking, rambling and sauntering. I walk therefore I see Eiffel. I walk further therefore I see the Arch. Walk again I can see the Louvre. Nearly 5 hours of walking daily until I lose 2 inches in waist, unbelievable. That's the happiness of traveling. It came from how I found my jokes also thinking how other people live their life, cultures, attitude, etc. Walk and walk, I come to the interchange of the underground Metro. Suddenly I saw a big swimming pool that built below the ground. Immediately I want to jump in, but where to keep my passport and wallet, forget it. I don't want to swim and lose everything.

Big murky Eiffel
This is the only Eiffel tower photo I have. I only have a compact automatic camera, it can't take night photo. The moment I saw the tower is already 7.30pm, I was searching for somebody to take a photo for me but nobody seems to have time for this job. Later I walk to the back to find a young girl standing alone with smiling face. She took this photo for me. I have to ascend up a cement container meantime she has to bend lower to take this photo. After this photo, I run to the other side near the bridge, there I saw many street artists. They do quick street portrait drawings. I took some more photos there but all later came out like this one, blackens but yet able to see J-99. On this bridge, I can see many peoples coming and going, mostly tourists. Most memorable was an old lady in classical attire. She walks somewhat sideway and in every three steps, she kicks in furious expression. Anybody walk close to her will be kicked by her, watch out.

Louvre and its entrance
I took this photo from the glass pyramid entrance. The entrance to the Louvre Museum is here. Look at the glass of triangular shape, it is a pyramid construction designed by somebody named IM Pei. I saw many peoples sleeping beside the pyramid because it has pools where kids can play around. Some peoples are waiting or probably sunbathing, who knows.

My Louvre is a joke. Before I go, I didn't know it was underneath the glass pyramid, so that I walk many rounds beside the construction. Then I ask a security guard, he told me just follow the signboard, walk straits towards the Pyramid. Okay, but I still don't understand, "Are you sure that Pyramid has famous big paintings to see?" he said "yeah, everything is inside the pyramid." Now I think I get what he means by "inside", so I go inside to the museum. As usual, visitors stick around a small piece of old painting, and so do I.

Others
One more thing attracts me was the Parisian pet shops. These pet shops help to cut your doggie’s hair and bath as well. It is a big huge city to me but I insist to walk around. City buses can be quite convenience too, I tried once but misconceiving ended up at a remote place, at last I have to search for a guy to help me by saying palais voux Anglais? Je noux palais per Francais.

Eat what?
As usual I didn't go to any expensive areas. Restaurants and nightlife are out of my budget. English speaking peoples are rare species in Paris, most of the time I am performing body languages. So what I eat there is mostly from the shop that sells French toast or bakeries. I don’t know how to differentiate those breads like foodstuffs but anyway, I ate and it satisfied me.

• Last visit to Paris: Dec 1998
  • Intro Updated Mar 22, 2004

l_joo

“No need to work meh, where got so good life to travel”

Badges & Stats in Paris