"Gilgit" Gilgit by l_joo

Gilgit Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 156 photos

Gilgit is all you want about the big mountains of Pakistan, if you are first time visiting this country to see the mountains, this is the the first place you should visit. Just buy a ticket to Islamabad then take a long distance bus to Gilgit and have fun. You can arrange for all the visits to Skardu, Chitral, Khunjerab, Nanga Parbat, Rakaposhi, etc. This person in top photo is a tourguide of this area, he is owner of the jeep, his main income is you. Tourguides like him is plentiful in Gilgit, what you do is go to Gilgit now and they will be chasing you around, don't send email to ask me about mountain travels, ask him.

http://geocities.com/gilgitguide/index.html is a website I built for Mr. Akhtar as tour guide of this small town in the Northern Areas of Pakistan. The last day before I leave for Karimabad, Akhtar as usual standing at the bus station to wait for his new clients. He told me it could be a no tourists day to wait for nothing, for that he bought us two glass of tea as treat and he asked whether we can make him a simple website for his personal Gilgit Travel and we said okay. He also asked for a letter hand written by us for him to show to his clients as recommendation.

to Naltar Valley
Akhtar is the tourguide introduced to us the heavenly Naltar Valley. This is a photo of outer Naltar resort altituded at thousands of metres above sea level, very cold and humid. The moment taking this photo, I was already shivering and trying to look for a hole to hide. This location is second best according to Akhtar after the great Nanga Parbat base camp. We don't want to spend 3 days in Nanga Parbat, only one day in the Naltar. At first I thought the guy is a tout but slowly when the jeep drove in deeper, Andy and me began to laugh and scream, seriously, the place is out of this world, I don't know how to tell you. Driving is quite tough, there's no roads actually, the jeep is driving on the hilly riverside bumping endlessly, not an easy money for him. Anyway, the trip was memorable, we have been to heaven at last.

Gilgit's suspension bridge
This is the thing to get your eye open for a at least half an hour to look at the entire construction hanging in the middle of it with only a car's width. Yes only one way driving where cars from the other direction had to wait for all clear before crossing. I decided to walk across to snap some photos before Akhtar ended up quarrelling with the old bridge guard who tried to stop us taking photos of bridge. Akhtar's point of view is to let tourists take photos to promote the tourism of Pakistan but the old guard did not see his point rather do his work according to set rules.

• Last visit to Gilgit: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated May 24, 2005

• Feb 19, 2009 at 11:04 AM

It's clear that the ladies did not want you to take the photo. You take advantage of people like this, driving by and suddenly taking other people's photos without even asking them. It's outright rude and unethical. You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Rinjani's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2007 at 5:57 AM

It's very nice place to be!! Wish I could be there too. Great page Joo

• Fudge's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 8:13 PM

hi, Naltar Valley has been a destination I'd like to get to. Am planning a hunza trip this May. Got any cotnacts on trekking guides etc, a-mai? I rather ask you than post question to forum. Thanks!

• ManOfLaMantra's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2005 at 10:40 AM

Simply gorious. I hope to follow in your footsteps!

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2005 at 1:09 PM

WOW how amazing was that!!! great tips and thanks for sharing with me.. you make my trips look ordinary

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 12:58 AM

I'm gasping for air!! Wonderful!

• Jun 13, 2004 at 3:30 AM

Out of this world, it is Joo. Glad you enjoyed Gilgit.

l_joo

“No need to work meh, where got so good life to travel”

Badges & Stats in Gilgit