"Bujang Valley Archeological Museum" Kampong Bujang by l_joo
Kampong Bujang Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 57 photos
A rough idea of what is Bujang ?
This Bujang, Bujang Valley or Pengkalan Merbok of today is actually the old Langkasuka of ancient time Hindu kingdom that specially build at this area for ships of India, Arabs, Persia, China and others to stop for rest, refill and waiting for the monsoon to change before they can return home.
Imagine at 2000 years ago, there were so many ships coming from different part of the world sailing from Indian ocean acrossing Straits of Melaka and up the South China sea to China, they were not tourists like us today but they were doing for living by trading.
At that time, the peninsular Malaysia was still a big jungle without any development yet, inhabited by Negrito Aborigines, Detero-Malay, etc.
Hindu traders can easily setup their post here to start making money.
Langkasuka is not a big influencial Kingdom but just a small one during that period. They were among another few small kingdoms who try to make some money from the sea traders. According to history, there were some others try to offer a portage in further North of Malaysia, so those ships can save time sailing pass Singapore.
The real big kingdoms of ancient time were Funan, Srivijaya, Majapahit and last Melaka by Parameswara. Later all these early Hindu/Buddhist kingdoms were gone, Parameswara became a convert to Muslim and since founded Melaka, after that it was Islamic, not Hindu/Buddhist anymore. But if you want to see what is ancient Hindu/Buddhist kingdom, you can visit BALI of Indonesia, there the culture of Majapahit still going on.
What to see inside this museum ?
Okay, they have a very complete collection of all those ancient potteries from India and China but one thing very surprising was this museum try to keep a "low profile". You will know later if you visit it.
How to get there ?
This is very important because the road to BAM is not that easy to locate fi you are first time to malaysia.
If you drive by car from the direction of Penang on the North-South Highway, get off at Sungai Petani/Sungai Lalang, after about 5 minutes' drive, you can see a big road sign "Archeological Museum of Bujang Valley 15km".
If you go by bus, take a bus to the nearest town of Bujang Valley (Lembah Bujang). hire a taxi about RM40 for a one day trip.
Very few visitors even on weekends. Free admission.
- Pros:Important museum
- In a nutshell:A place for Malaysian history lovers
l_joo's Related Pages
Kampong Bujang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lembah Bujang ( Bujang Valley ), Kedah"
- "Lembah Bujang~Bujang Valley - archaelogical site"
- "Lembah Bujang / Bujang Valley"
- "Bujang Valley Archeological Museum"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kampong Bujang
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Kampong Bujang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kampong Bujang
Photos in Kampong BujangSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 369 reviews, 499 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 109 reviews, 431 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 204 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dengfeng Intro, 6 reviews, 253 photos, 30 travelogues
- Xiangfan Intro, 9 reviews, 191 photos, 19 travelogues
- Damansara Intro, 53 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amritsar Intro, 64 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gilgit Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos
- Harappa Intro, 54 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vientiane Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues