"Kota Bharu with Joo" Kota Baharu by l_joo

Kota Baharu Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 151 photos

Mountains does matter
I read from a book - history of Malaysia. It says those days if peoples from the west coast of peninsular Malaysia wanted to meet peoples of the east coast have to travel about a month to get over the central mountains.

The Siamese-Malaysian
Do you know that the Siamese living in Kelantan is Bumiputra? Bumiputra is a Malaysian term reserved only for peoples of special privileges and its English meaning is ’Sons of the soil’. If you drive from Kota Bharu towards the border, you can see their Buddhist temple (wat) and big Buddha statue.

Budget Guesthouse
Just behind the male and female territory were shops and among them are budget guesthouses. Try walk up the staircase to first floor, its price tag says a room cost RM8.00 about 2 US$. I stayed there once in a room cost me RM40 with air-con but frankly tell you, very smelly and dirty especially the bathroom. The room I stay wasn’t even changing the bed sheets and blanket but they use a can of aromatic spray to make it a fresh new feel and look for customers and they did all these right in front of you, wow I’m okay, I can take it, what about you?

For Women Only
I took this photo for my friend Sing sitting on the ‘female territory’ and beside her was a makcik (aunty) sitting not far away looking so distressing in her face. In between female territory and male territory built a Police station. I think they try to separate male and female with police forces, so that men and women couldn’t stay too close to each other and also to make sure no lovers kissing in open public areas. I came from big city of Kuala Lumpur, I am not so sure about Kelantanese Islamic rules but I make sure I don’t walk out from my hotel half naked otherwise I will end up in jail. Nonetheless we visitors from other states still like to visit Kota Bharu.

• Last visit to Kota Baharu: Dec 2001
  • Intro Updated Mar 20, 2004

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2005 at 11:59 PM

You can't be serious? I didn't see that much of gender separation leh!

• A2002's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2004 at 12:27 AM

wow.. really strict rules there. Do you know if it's still the case after the election? Your narration quite entertaining... hold hands boleh ah??

l_joo

“No need to work meh, where got so good life to travel”

Badges & Stats in Kota Baharu

Have you been to Kota Baharu?

Latest Activity in Kota Baharu