"Penang - my birthplace" Top 5 Page for this destination Penang by l_joo
Penang Travel Guide: 2,483 reviews and 5,362 photos
" la la lee la taam pong,
apek bay apong,
apong ling lok hai,
apek chiak kow sai. "
Cha bor teem eeyah
Cha bor teem eeyah means girl smashing coconut in local language. If you are on the way to Botanical Garden in Penang Island, there's an Indian shrine by the roadside in front of the mini round about. This ritual of coconut smashing is a dual-cultural belief of Indian and Chinese. A girl very young is about to smash the coconut instructed by two Indian monks, peoples are watching, I was watching too. Curious to know why a girl want to smash coconut on the street? You can read the history of this island to understand more about the cultural mix of my birthplace. The history of Penang is too complicated controversial that no historians, travel writers anthropologists etc yet able to conclude, so please use your common sense.
What to do in Penang
When you visit Penang island, make sure you go to Penang Hill, you can take the cable car or you can walk up from the botanical garden, just like me in the photo. For me, I strongly suggest you take a 4 hours slow walking up and down the Penang Hill, the way up is very convenience, no entrance fees needed, anybody can walk up to Penang Hill, you only have to take a taxi to botanical garden in your outdoor wears, then you can ask anybody the way up the hill, that's all you need. Perhaps you need a small bottle of water and some cash, you might want to enjoy some cold drinks when you reach the top. Penang Hill is my favourite spot in Penang, I always like to go up to 84 as exercise, to have sweat and train my leg muscles. The environment is one million times much better than stuck at traffic jams on the street, heeee. Also you can meet sporty peoples or cyclists up there while listening to good talkers telling the best and most up-to-date gossips of Penang.
At the coastal front, you have many choices of shops selling women's beach wears. Picture is taken from one of the shops... more travel advice
In this island, there are some 'clever' peoples trying to fool tourists by selling stupid artificial fake juice drinks.... more travel advice
- See All Old house with roof garden
- See All Sikh Gurdwara Temple
- See All Original Chinese
- See All More cheap hotels
- See All Street scene 003
l_joo's Related Pages
Penang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Penang - Prince of Wales Island"
- "Penang - my birthplace"
- "colourful FUSION of culture"
- "Penang for Foodies"
- "Penang My Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penang
- Hotels in Penang
- Transportation in Penang
- Nightlife in Penang
- Restaurants in Penang
- Shopping in Penang
- Warnings and Dangers in Penang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penang
- 204 Reviews
- 256 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Penang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penang
Photos in PenangSee All Photos (256)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 369 reviews, 499 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 109 reviews, 431 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 204 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dengfeng Intro, 6 reviews, 253 photos, 30 travelogues
- Xiangfan Intro, 9 reviews, 191 photos, 19 travelogues
- Damansara Intro, 53 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amritsar Intro, 64 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gilgit Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos
- Harappa Intro, 54 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vientiane Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues