"Amritsar" Top 5 Page for this destination Amritsar by l_joo

Amritsar Travel Guide: 264 reviews and 801 photos

A place where men's hair must be covered
I did not realize the hair covering regulation until halfway into the temple when a guard in uniform called me from behind. He pointed his finger at my head and then he move his finger to other peoples' head, ooh I see. Luckily I have a piece of red cloth with me which is the one in the photo. As I strolling with my mouth open beside the pool looking over that construction in gold, two Amritsarian youngsters approached to ask for photo with me. Although the temperature is hot but in a place contained this much of water, I somehow felt cool and comfortable. From that moment onwards, I was completely fascinated by this metallic construction of Amritsar. Here is a link for more information about Amritsar

Enjoy the canteen of Golden Temple
The canteen is a big hall, roughly the size of a basketball court, very lively and comfortable where everybody just sit on the white lines in any sitting pose. You don't make order or look at menu, there's nothing at all except noices coming from visitors. So I just sit quitely near to other peoples in queuing order to wait for my foods. I saw few guys carrying a big basket of capati, they gave 2 pieces to each person sitting here, then again I saw few guys pouring a big scoupful of dhal onto my stainless steel plate, same to everybody. At last my cup was filled up with fresh water. I ate whatever they provided and then I saw everybody carrying their plate to another section of this building, to wash.

The purple warrior
He is not a real warrior but an old man, probably a guard for security purpose. I don't think they are strong aggressive in battle field because they just don't look that fierce. I saw him the moment he walks down from the staircase to the canteen with thre more purple warriors. My camera aim straight at him to shoot many photos until one of them asked me for money of modelling. Later I was siting with them in the canteen to enjoy the foods. Anyway, if you know who they are or why are they here, please let me know by email.

The Holy Water
I believe this is the famous Holy Pool of Nectar where if you bath here, your illness will be cured. I saw a signboard written in English hanging behind these peoples, it says this water can cure leprosy and also something like disable as well. Please correct me if you know more about it. Anyway I saw many devotees dip themselves into this pool as shown here and they don't swim as in swimming pool but just submerge. So I was attracted by this kind of scene, therefore want to share with you.

Main Attention
That morning when I come to see this Golden Temple, I heard it has music playing along with the Sikh song so loud even able to hear it from faraway but the song and music somehow has a comfortable feeling to attract my attention, so I just keep walking towards where the song plays. I come to a gate so crowded which is the only passageway built on the pool to link to the main construction. Before I enter, there's another department opposite to queue for something that I don't know, so I just do it accordingly to obtain a leaf made bowl with a cake look-alike object in it. With this on my hand, I go with the crowd to the Golden Temple.

• Last visit to Amritsar: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 28, 2004

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Can you shed some light on the Invisible foods of Amritsar and the invisible eater ?I don't understand!

• Dec 12, 2006 at 3:45 PM

Do you vote for your own comments or what? I wish you may never be hungry or in need of shelter, otherwise you might at least appreciate the generosity of people who volunteer to serve humanity, regardless of race or creed.

• Nov 16, 2006 at 7:51 AM

it was not a object , its just like holy water which is given in the church, The customs u said most of them r not customs, plz don`t write about those things about which you don`t know.

• makiro's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2006 at 10:53 AM

Hi again. Great temple shots too...you are a good photographer. R.

• daryll's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2006 at 9:58 AM

WOW..I love your Golden Temple Photos!! what version camera r u using?

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2005 at 11:09 AM

Fantastic pictures and very interesting short tips on the best known temple I have to visit sooner or later.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2005 at 2:57 AM

fantastic photos. thanks for sharing.

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2005 at 2:41 PM

Ughhh... your travels do envy me *kidding* This is gorgeous, and very curious about the covered hair (an very old myth!). Thanks Joo, greetzzz RoyJava

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2004 at 5:36 AM

wow you surely took lots of pix there. i still remember my time there, it was quite fun but very hot indeed.

• egonwegh's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2004 at 4:04 AM

Ah, it's great, no ... even better, it's just unbelievable, the Golden Temple with all those fantastic details!

l_joo

“No need to work meh, where got so good life to travel”

Badges & Stats in Amritsar

Have you been to Amritsar?

Latest Activity in Amritsar