"New Delhi" Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi by l_joo

New Delhi Travel Guide: 1,143 reviews and 2,551 photos

I think this city has one trillion peoples, there's no way I can build a complete page here, I only focus on one small part in the backpackers' street of Paharganj also known as Main Bazaar opposite the main railway station. This location is where all low budget tourists come to hang around to have fun enjoy the shopping etc, I was already here twice in 2004 and 2005, love it so much especially foods. The traffic is probably one of the most complicated in the world, only the best driver can survive. I need time to think of how to write this page, too many things to write and when I have too many come at once, I don't want to do it, but I will try slowly. The top photo is my New Delhi travellers' costume, I bought it from the famous Paharganj Main Bazaar street, though I don't know much about these costumes, just enjoy wearing that for 10 days.

See, this is one of the toys I bought in New Delhi, I don't know the name but its a wooden toy you can put all five pieces into one. The drawing of this toy is actually a Hinduism sadhu or monk with green snake on his body. I bought quite many toys here and many colorful clothings but never wear again back in my own country. New Delhi is a good place for shopping to me and I find it easy and comfortable, nice peoples around but beware of touts. I like eating the foods especially the breakfast in a small two-tables-only restaurant. Best month to go is before April, I was there in May 41+ C and visited again in the next February at temperature 16C, so much difference.

And this is little Ganesh made of clay, the size is only about 2.5 inches in height and it cost less than 30R. Now I place this little Ganesh on my computer as decoration. I take it as ceramic work or toy but in India, this is probably their god, one of the 3 million gods which Pranja told me. I like this clay work very much, will buy more the next time I visit New Delhi. Other than Ganesh, I have god Krishna t-shirt, Buddha shopper bag, Ganesh sling bag and many many more unknown god products. Pranja also told me that the entire Asia is actually influenced by Indians because Buddha was a Hindu God in his previous life, that's what he said when I met this guy on train.

• Last visit to New Delhi: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 13, 2005

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 2:10 AM

You certainly give a completely different view of New Delhi to what I saw. Most enlightening.

• Jul 26, 2007 at 4:32 AM

Somebody said that the picture is of PAN (pronounced as paan) but the thing looks to me like Samosa, definitely the thing kept in left hand side dish. You will get it anywhere, just name the thing properly.

• hotrodgirlly's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 10:16 AM

what are the cross strets or exact location for the mehendi artists?? Please help..

• tenida4u's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 4:48 AM

This is called PAN. Famous brand is Banarasi Pan.

• makiro's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2006 at 10:48 AM

Hi, Nice tips on India. I feel I am there seeing all the foods you eat on your trip :) Take care, Rob

• Bavavia's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2006 at 2:29 PM

Great photos of the street scenes!

• 6aruna's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2006 at 11:47 AM

it is obvious you love delhi wonderful piece

• miguelle_guisson's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2005 at 9:31 PM

Its an unbalanced picture & presentation of an International and a great city. New Delhi is beyond sadar Bazaar, which unfortunately you missed.

• umashanker's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2005 at 2:42 AM

Intersting page on my city.

• May 11, 2005 at 3:18 AM

Joo!!! Your shopping info was soooo fun to read...I could not help smiling at your effort to promote the "bra" to the world. I think they may be for Belly Dancers! Keep those candied tips coming!!!!

l_joo

“No need to work meh, where got so good life to travel”

Badges & Stats in New Delhi

Have you been to New Delhi?

Latest Activity in New Delhi