"Kashi Banaras Benares Varanasi" Top 5 Page for this destination Varanasi by l_joo

Varanasi Travel Guide: 648 reviews and 1,510 photos

Varanasian foods
Introduced by a tourist stood here eating what I ate in photo told me this is the best in Varanasi, I ate one and later I bought 7 more. The food is like curry puff eaten with green salty spicy sauce, cost 1Rs each only. The location of this stall is Shivala Ghat, opposite Sunshine hotel. Really, this is the best in Varanasi because I tasted it. A few step walk is the 'Chai' stall, also stood many peoples drinking endlessly, go show your finger One Please after eaten the best of Varanasi. I came here on 9th February 2005. Temperature in February is around 15 Celcius, very comfortable feeling. My transportation was second class sleeper by train some 20 hours total cost 293Rs per ticket from New Delhi. Condition of train was good, many security personnels and ticket checkings. Dinner on train cost 30Rs for Thali while many food sellers come every 10 minutes. This place was originally good for photography but nowadays digital cameras degraded photo values, I alone took 500+ for fun.

Drink Gangga water
In the morning five thirty or six, walk to the riverside, nearby the river you can see many peoples approaching you asking 'boat 50 ruppees'. Okay reply, you will be arranged an one or two hour boat ride. Some women head-carrying a basket full of flowers, they wanted to sell you the praying flowers in bowl made of leaves cost 20Rs each, avoid them if you don't want to spend the money. I didn't travel with Lonely Planet guide book, had to pay 80Rs for 4 bowls. While on the boat, you can drink the Gangga river water as shown in picture, it taste holy and your sin gone, but don't do it, that was my mineral water. I spent 7 days here but 3 days on the bed for food poisoning probably eaten the chicken masala the first night arrived. I had to ask help from the hotel to arrange me a doctor for unstoppable diarrhea and vomit plus fever. Medicines cost me 120Rs while 400Rs for doctor.

What to do here
I came here without any guidebook, actually I don't need because we already have the best website. I came and wander around looking at things completely different from where I live. I try to see how peoples lived tradition by tradition for 3000 years unchanged here. Hindu culture is something that can really last long enough, long enough to make you want to stand here to watch its beauty. What I did here was walking along the ghats some 2 hours taking many photos and saying many 'No Thanks' to peoples offering their services to you. Kids would follow you by pulling your shirt or touch your legs for one ruppee or two. Some chase you for taking their photos, some just stare at you because you look different. The most strange was a guy offered a woman to me as wife. Saw also some foreign tourists tried to dress like sadhu, they probably stayed here for years. Many tourists bath here, very common activity.

• Last visit to Varanasi: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 12, 2005

• mittoo's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Thanks for the guide tips.Will be visiting the city in October-2011.

• Oct 1, 2008 at 11:50 PM

never stay in sunshine hotel..i didn't like the room. one thing that i didn't like most was that they took 600 rs in advance 4 2 days as i wanted to stay 4 2 days but due to some problem i left 1 day before but they didn't returned money..

• juliewong's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2008 at 5:30 AM

Wow, nice adventure in Varanasi. Yeah, I had the worst food poison in Nepal. I can imagine what it is like for you.

• Jan 9, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Loved our stay at shiva ganges view on nov 2007 .. Its not at all expensive ……The rooms are big with balcony, clean, including the bathrooms. We experienced body and head massage …..Very nice and home made food …Delicious !!! I think its worth it !!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2008 at 2:40 AM

Thanks for your tips and pictures! Happy New Travels in 2008!

• Paarie's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2007 at 7:49 AM

Unfortunately, you seem not to be able to catch the true spirit of Varanasi. Better luck next time. Greetings from India.

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2007 at 1:44 AM

NOT GOOD. The stick for brushing the teeth ('Datun') is an Ayurvedic cure for clean teeth. To see the real Varanasi, stay with a family and not in a hotel.

• theadventurer's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Hi I-joo, You have an interesting page about Varanasi. I certainly could use many of your tips. My wife and I are going there this month.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 11:58 PM

The pic of you drinking the water cant be real can it? You obviously didnt have an LP because it explained that the Ganges is beyond polluted ie your illness. Hope you research more for your next trip. Jz

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 12:44 AM

Superb pages and infos. Thanks

l_joo

“No need to work meh, where got so good life to travel”

Badges & Stats in Varanasi

Have you been to Varanasi?

Latest Activity in Varanasi