"Kashi Banaras Benares Varanasi" Top 5 Page for this destination Varanasi by l_joo
Varanasi Travel Guide: 648 reviews and 1,510 photos
Introduced by a tourist stood here eating what I ate in photo told me this is the best in Varanasi, I ate one and later I bought 7 more. The food is like curry puff eaten with green salty spicy sauce, cost 1Rs each only. The location of this stall is Shivala Ghat, opposite Sunshine hotel. Really, this is the best in Varanasi because I tasted it. A few step walk is the 'Chai' stall, also stood many peoples drinking endlessly, go show your finger One Please after eaten the best of Varanasi. I came here on 9th February 2005. Temperature in February is around 15 Celcius, very comfortable feeling. My transportation was second class sleeper by train some 20 hours total cost 293Rs per ticket from New Delhi. Condition of train was good, many security personnels and ticket checkings. Dinner on train cost 30Rs for Thali while many food sellers come every 10 minutes. This place was originally good for photography but nowadays digital cameras degraded photo values, I alone took 500+ for fun.
Drink Gangga water
In the morning five thirty or six, walk to the riverside, nearby the river you can see many peoples approaching you asking 'boat 50 ruppees'. Okay reply, you will be arranged an one or two hour boat ride. Some women head-carrying a basket full of flowers, they wanted to sell you the praying flowers in bowl made of leaves cost 20Rs each, avoid them if you don't want to spend the money. I didn't travel with Lonely Planet guide book, had to pay 80Rs for 4 bowls. While on the boat, you can drink the Gangga river water as shown in picture, it taste holy and your sin gone, but don't do it, that was my mineral water. I spent 7 days here but 3 days on the bed for food poisoning probably eaten the chicken masala the first night arrived. I had to ask help from the hotel to arrange me a doctor for unstoppable diarrhea and vomit plus fever. Medicines cost me 120Rs while 400Rs for doctor.
What to do here
I came here without any guidebook, actually I don't need because we already have the best website. I came and wander around looking at things completely different from where I live. I try to see how peoples lived tradition by tradition for 3000 years unchanged here. Hindu culture is something that can really last long enough, long enough to make you want to stand here to watch its beauty. What I did here was walking along the ghats some 2 hours taking many photos and saying many 'No Thanks' to peoples offering their services to you. Kids would follow you by pulling your shirt or touch your legs for one ruppee or two. Some chase you for taking their photos, some just stare at you because you look different. The most strange was a guy offered a woman to me as wife. Saw also some foreign tourists tried to dress like sadhu, they probably stayed here for years. Many tourists bath here, very common activity.
Here you can look at the road of Varanasi, this road is not the small ghat alleys, this one is the big main road. It was... more travel advice
This is a goat eating the flowers that peoples put on the dead people, the moment they dumped into the river, the goat... more travel advice
- See All Eat the oranges
- See All Food Poisoning
- See All Wanna buy Silk?
- See All Yoga schools
- See All Shiva Ganges View
- Look at something less watching
l_joo's Related Pages
Varanasi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kashi Banaras Benares Varanasi"
- "Varanasi - the Land of Ghats and temples"
- "Varanasi: Hindusthan's City of Light."
- "Keeweechic's Varanasi"
- "Varanasi - The City of Light"
- "Varanasi - Testament to Faith"
- "Wellcome to the holy city of Varanasi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varanasi
- Hotels in Varanasi
- Transportation in Varanasi
- Nightlife in Varanasi
- Restaurants in Varanasi
- Shopping in Varanasi
- Warnings and Dangers in Varanasi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varanasi
- 60 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Varanasi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varanasi
Photos in VaranasiSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 369 reviews, 499 photos, 5 travelogues
- Malaysia Intro, 109 reviews, 431 photos, 37 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 204 reviews, 257 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dengfeng Intro, 6 reviews, 253 photos, 30 travelogues
- Xiangfan Intro, 9 reviews, 191 photos, 19 travelogues
- Damansara Intro, 53 reviews, 119 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amritsar Intro, 64 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Gilgit Intro, 80 reviews, 80 photos
- Harappa Intro, 54 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vientiane Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues