"Hainan Island" Haikou by xiquinho
Haikou Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 38 photos
No longer known as the place of exile, as it was in ancient times, Haikou (Hainan Island), a Special Economic Zone and one of China's most unspoiled natural regions, is now a thriving tourist destination. Often referred to as the "Hawaii of China" for its tropical climate and vegetation, the island features miles of sandy beaches, verdant mountains, agricultural land and primal wilderness. This relaxing and sparsely populated area has many resorts and interesting landmarks, which include the Haikou harbour, arguably the best place in China to see traditional sailing junks.
Hainan is a paradise for seafood lovers, with prawns, crabs, rock lobsters, abalones and shark's fin, all complimented by spicy Southeast Asian sauces. Haikou's markets offer interesting carved stones, model junks and woodcarving, as well as silk and bamboo ware. In addition to its abundant agricultural resources, the island is estimated to produce 1,700 barrels a day of oil off the north coast, and a vast natural gas field is being developed off the southern coast.
Haikou Airport is 25km from downtown. Taxis are generally available from airport to downtown at around RMB60-80. more travel advice
You can see locals climb 20-metre-high trees to pick coconuts, and then refresh themselves with the delicious coconut... more travel advice
xiquinho's Related Pages
Haikou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hainan Island"
- "Hainan's Tropical Capital"
- "Haikou, Hainan Island."
- "Haikou - capital of Hainan."
- "Capital of Hainan province"
- "Hot Haikou"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haikou
- Hotels in Haikou
- Transportation in Haikou
- Restaurants in Haikou
- Shopping in Haikou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haikou
- 10 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Haikou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haikou
Top 10 Pages
- Ayuthaya Intro, 32 reviews, 28 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 24 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos