"Xiamen" Xiamen by xiquinho
Xiamen Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 670 photos
Xiamen, a Special Economic Zone in Fujian province, is arguably one of the most active and exciting cities in China. Situated in the southeast of the country, this remarkable pollution free city has many historical landmarks to impress any visitors. Among the many interesting spots are Gulang island (Gulangyu), a restful island with golden beaches; Nanputuo Temple, a thousand-year-old Tang Dynasty temple packed with Buddhist statuary and Gulanyu Museum, the most visible building on the island located on a hilltop. The Overseas Chinese Museum, Wan Shi Rocks, Huli Shan Fortress and Zheng Chenggong Memorial Hall are other attractive landmarks.
Although Cantonese cuisine is served in most restaurants, the popular Chaozhou version features such specialties as extra-strong Iron Buddha tea, and Xiamen's seafood and tofu soup are delightful.
Its only indigenous craft is lacquered thread sculpture for ceramics. However, the marketplace specialties such as whimsical clay teapots shaped like Buddha, silk dolls, bead embroidery and beautiful jade offered by Zhongshan Lu, are widely available.
A huge granite statue pays tribute to Zheng Chenggong, Xiamen's favourite historical figure. Described as both a pirate... more travel advice
An area just east of the city with evergreen mountain views and the city's 10.3 square kilometer Botanical Gardens, a... more travel advice
xiquinho's Related Pages
Xiamen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Xiamen - Amoy Port, Fukkien"
- "Xiamen (厦门)"
- "Island of Xiamen"
- "xiamen and gulangyu island"
- "China's Hawaii?!?"
- "Known in the West as AMOY."
- "Old Amoy comes good"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xiamen
- Hotels in Xiamen
- Transportation in Xiamen
- Nightlife in Xiamen
- Restaurants in Xiamen
- Shopping in Xiamen
- Warnings and Dangers in Xiamen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xiamen
- 8 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Xiamen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xiamen
Top 10 Pages
- Ayuthaya Intro, 32 reviews, 28 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 24 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos