"Xian" Xi'an by xiquinho
Xi'an Travel Guide: 1,112 reviews and 3,065 photos
Xian, the capital of Shaanxi Province, is one of the most famous of China's historic former capitals. Although Xian's oldest monument is a Neolithic village dating back to 6000 B.C., its most famous attraction is the tomb of China's first Emperor, with its buried army of terracotta warrior guardians. The city was originally known as Chang An, and was the Imperial Capital during the Tang Dynasty. There are still many elegant temples and magnificent tombs from that dynasty to explore. Among its other historical sites are the City Wall, dating back to the Ming Dynasty and the Small Goose Pagoda, which dates from 707A.D. and is one of several fine Buddhist monuments in the city centre. Hau Qing Hot Springs, the site of a pleasure palace built by the Tang Emperor Tai Zong, is also worth visiting.
Unlike other Chinese provinces such as Hunan, Sichuan and Guangdong, Shaanxi has no traditional cuisine other than steamed meat-filled dumplings and noodles. However, its many fine restaurants feature cuisine from all across China.
The city also offers travellers a wide range of colourful handicrafts, available at small privately owned shops near the major tourist spots. There are also many excellent international-class hotels. Apart from tourism, Xian has a well-developed industrial economy, with many factories producing machinery, electrical equipment, cement, fertilizers and a wide range of consumer goods.
The Xianyang Airport is 45km from downtown. Taxi and airport shuttle buses are available at around RMB180 and RMB25... more travel advice
This is one of the few city walls still standing in China, and was built between 1347 and 1378. It is a most impressive... more travel advice
xiquinho's Related Pages
Xi'an Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The echo of ancient"
- "Xian "Peaceful western part of China""
- "Shifting cities"
- "Beautiful Xi'an"
- "Xian - our stopover to see the Terracotta Army"
- "Qing Ming @Xi'an"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xi'an
- Hotels in Xi'an
- Transportation in Xi'an
- Nightlife in Xi'an
- Restaurants in Xi'an
- Shopping in Xi'an
- Warnings and Dangers in Xi'an
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xi'an
- 9 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Xi'an?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xi'an
Photos in Xi'anSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Ayuthaya Intro, 32 reviews, 28 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 17 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 24 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antwerp Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos