"Wadi Rum" Wadi Rum by Morepork

Wadi Rum Travel Guide: 243 reviews and 576 photos

I had the privilege of skydiving onto the Wadi Rum. Here with the Parachutists over Forty group and the Skydivers over Sixties.

C130 Hercules over Wadi Rum

Here we are at jump altitude in the aircraft. We were privileged to be the first ever civilians to land on the Wadi Rum. My friends, (one a Scot & one English - we exited together & formed a three-way in free-fall. Had a wonderful time, then split & tracked away from on another to land on the edge of the Wadi.I landed OK & was up & running around my canopy to deflate it, when a VERY sudden gust of wind came down the canyon & slammed me on to the concrete-hard surface of the Wadi - face down ! With disastrous consequences ! It took me at least five minutes to regain my composure & sit up.
I was at least two miles from anyone else but luckily, someone had the binoculars on me as the could see the bright colour of my parachute, so the Capt. drove out to retrieve me. He took me to a Bedoin medical center & I was assessd OK !
The rest of the day we drove to the scene of 'Lawrence Of Arabia' . 24 Land Rovers took us& we dined and partied while we watched the sun-set over the desert.
They danced the night away under starry skies like we have never seen before. Returned to Aqaba & sleep !
What a day ! ! !
Next day I decided that I had had a pretty hard bump on my head so remained in my room for four days.
Luckily I did the right thing !

I never cease to wonder how these people live out in the desert !

• Pros:Unforgettable Scenery.
  • Cons:Desert Sandstorms & continual wind
  • In a nutshell:Never thought I'd get to visit such an historial land.
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2005

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2008 at 1:33 PM

How very exciting. It must have been a marvelous experience!

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 12:58 AM

amazing adventure. When was the actual trip? 2005?

• shelnlin's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2006 at 3:14 PM

Sorry to hear about the bump to the head, it sounds like you all had a terrific experience.

• morgr's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2004 at 11:19 PM

What an excellent way to arrive in Wadi Rum!!! I wish I had thought of that!!! Sorry to hear about the accident, but good to see it hasen't dampened your spirits :-)

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2004 at 2:10 AM

An unusual entrance to a wonderful place! I broke a bone in my foot doing my jump, hope your accident has not put off. Nice page (~_~)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2004 at 2:14 PM

Wadi Rum is one of my top-travel-dreams ! - but it need not be sky-diving.... a camel would do as well

• Oct 10, 2003 at 6:30 AM

Wow! You are really brave! Must have been amazing to see the desert from above. Sorry to hear you hit the head.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2003 at 3:18 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident - but great to hear, that you still had a fantastic time!!! It sounds fantastic, Audrey!!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2003 at 1:06 AM

Skydiving onto Wadi Rum! Great. My trip there was by jeep-

• nomada's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2003 at 2:45 AM

I will never forget Wadi Rum either... but skydiving there must be unforgettable !!!

Morepork

“Onwards and Upwards”

Badges & Stats in Wadi Rum

Have you been to Wadi Rum?

Latest Activity in Wadi Rum