"Mosgiel on the Taieri Plains" Mosgiel by Morepork

Mosgiel Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos

The Home of Mosgiel Woollen Mills

This was where the very first woollen factory in New Zealand was established. It provided employment for many families.
A reasonable sized town was built around it & flourishes till this day, despite the fact that the mill has long ago closed.
I was born not far from here and grew up in a tiny settlement called Whare Flat which i will write about later.
My parents owned this house for many years & rented it during the depression as my father was given a house with his job in the forestry & 20acres of land to supplement a living.
We had five cows & twenty hens. Two pigs were fed the whey from the skim milk after we had separated the milk for the cream for the dairy factory. Sometimes, Mum would make the butter, 'specially during the war when butter was rationed.
We had a great garden which we lived from. Potatoes, carrots, parsnips, radishes. Raspberries grew well & we would even sell them for jam. Apples blackberries, gooseberries, red currants too.
Dad would go pig-hunting so we sometimes had wild pork.
We were eight miles from Mosgiel so only saw the shops once a fortnight during the war.
The grocer would deliver our order every other week.
We were snowed in for six weeks in 1939 so had to pull our sledges down across the bridges to meet the grocer for our supplies.
It was a matter of survival & taught us just that for future life.
There was no electricity in the district & only one phone.

• Intro Updated Jan 4, 2004

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2004 at 6:10 PM

I tell you what, a couple of years ago..actually 5y, it was hot in Mosgiel, bought some icecream for the kids and of course for me, and their mum invited us for a cuppa..neat eh!!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2003 at 10:02 PM

Gosh you sure came from a cold part... I grew up with the sound of bagpipes. I'm glad you got to do a jump down there. nice pic.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2003 at 7:30 AM

I've been to Mosgiel. We went on a school trip round the mill. It's been closed?

• mountainpoet's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2003 at 7:48 PM

Whoa!!! Great to see Mosgiel on VT. I went to East Taieri School as a kid. I still have some rellies there that I stop and visit

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2003 at 6:14 PM

Nice skydive photo :-)

• utttz's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2003 at 4:34 AM

pity for the train!

• pollon's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2003 at 8:05 AM

exactly yesterday on TV in a travel programme, they showed skydive in your country!!!

Morepork

“Onwards and Upwards”

Badges & Stats in Mosgiel

Have you been to Mosgiel?

Latest Activity in Mosgiel