"Mosgiel on the Taieri Plains" Mosgiel by Morepork
Mosgiel Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos
This was where the very first woollen factory in New Zealand was established. It provided employment for many families.
A reasonable sized town was built around it & flourishes till this day, despite the fact that the mill has long ago closed.
I was born not far from here and grew up in a tiny settlement called Whare Flat which i will write about later.
My parents owned this house for many years & rented it during the depression as my father was given a house with his job in the forestry & 20acres of land to supplement a living.
We had five cows & twenty hens. Two pigs were fed the whey from the skim milk after we had separated the milk for the cream for the dairy factory. Sometimes, Mum would make the butter, 'specially during the war when butter was rationed.
We had a great garden which we lived from. Potatoes, carrots, parsnips, radishes. Raspberries grew well & we would even sell them for jam. Apples blackberries, gooseberries, red currants too.
Dad would go pig-hunting so we sometimes had wild pork.
We were eight miles from Mosgiel so only saw the shops once a fortnight during the war.
The grocer would deliver our order every other week.
We were snowed in for six weeks in 1939 so had to pull our sledges down across the bridges to meet the grocer for our supplies.
It was a matter of survival & taught us just that for future life.
There was no electricity in the district & only one phone.
Morepork's Related Pages
Mosgiel Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mosgiel
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Mosgiel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mosgiel
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Jordan Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tierra del Fuego Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wadi Rum Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Ranville Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Canada Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Petra Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue