"Whenuapai" Whenuapai by Morepork
Whenuapai Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Whenuapai was the original International Airport for New Zealand before Mangere was built. Still the hub of Air Force transport & lots of skydiving.
Many vineyards so a Wine Trail is very popular on the way to west or east coast beaches where a gannett colony can be viewed at Muriwai.
The pronunciation for this place is -
Fen-oo-a-pai ! It means 'Good Land' in Maori our native language.
There are many changes afoot around here as the Royal New Zealand Air Force are moving to another location over the next five years & the big debate is on as to what happens to the large area of land. Many of the surrounding locals want it closed as an airfield because of the noise, but many of us want it retained as a second airport for Auckland. Once it is gone, then there will be no coming back !
If it is retained, then it will serve the nothern area & help cut down on traffic congestion in this narrow neck of land around Auckland.
Well, after much 'ado' there has been a reprieve for our airfield for a further ten (10) years ! YIPPEE!
So this has avoided a 'civil' war between the neighbours.
Every day this olace gets better and better. The trees and foliage are just beautiful - not to mention the Tuis (native birds of NZ). They just love to hop from bow to bow n search of honety from the blossom.
We are located halfway between the two Oceans and walking distance to the harbour and the airfield.
- Pros:Idyillic spot
- In a nutshell:Aucklands' Best kept secret - gets more beautiful every day!
Morepork's Related Pages
Whenuapai Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Whenuapai
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Whenuapai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whenuapai
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Jordan Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tierra del Fuego Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wadi Rum Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Ranville Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Canada Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Petra Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue