"DDay 60th celebrations" Ranville by Morepork
Ranville Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 9 photos
AS I had been parachuting for over 32 years, I was invited to take part in the 60th. Anniversary.
At first, I thought it was just an invitation to attend, but as time went on, the emails & phone calls began to arrive. It was then, that I realised that they wanted me to jump in!
So it was time to come out of retirement & do some solid training to get back into the harness again!
I visited Ranville from the sky, doing a freefall after dispatching some troops at lower altitude from a lovely old DC-3 Dakota 'Fi FI Kate'. Here I am just after landing, in the rapeseed field.
In the background, is one of the fields where many of the gliders landed at Ranville with the famous X roads just to the left. They were scattered in all directions & the pilots were credited with some of the most precise airmanship of WWII. Some of them landed within feet of their target.
There were two types of gliders - the 'Horsas' & I forget the other name.
The village of Ranville was the first village to be liberated in the first 24 hrs. of the campaign.
Prince Charles had visited a couple of hours beforehand.
This area was where the Allies fought for the freedom for days& days. The price was horrendous but all in the name of Liberty.
Hundreds of paratroopers in the air. Some made it, sadly,others didn't.
We were near to the Pegasus Bridge which was a vital main target to be taken to be taken as early as possible.
More about that later.
The smoke signal , signalled that jumping was finished for the day.!
- Pros:Very Historical area
- Cons:Hard to believe what happened here 60 yrs. ago.
- In a nutshell:Hard to believe that I'm here. Very peaceful now.
We were disappointed to find we had to cater for ourselves so had to make do with whatever we had. Go find a restaurant... more travel advice
Morepork's Related Pages
Ranville Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ranville
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ranville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ranville
Top 10 Pages
- New Zealand Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos, 3 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thailand Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Aqaba Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tierra del Fuego Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wadi Rum Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Ranville Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Canada Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos