"Circumnavigating Scotland by sailboat" Scotland by daarth
Scotland Travel Guide: 12,674 reviews and 28,099 photos
Sailing around Scotland, Juli 2002. Picture is sunset off Cape Wrath. We were passing this North-West corner of Scotland on a sail-leg from Stornoway (Outer Hebrides) to Kirkwall (Orkney)
Sailing for three weeks in July 2002, here is the short version setting out from Bergen, Norway. Crossing the North Sea. Circumnavigating Scotland, and the return to Bergen over the North Sea again. We logged 1141 nautical miles.
Friday evening, July 5th. Set out from Bergen. We had the wind against us the whole way. Force 9 at the end.
Monday evening about midnight: Arrival at Inverness. Sea loch was closed, so we had to find a spot at the harbour.
Tuesday we went into the Sea loch of the Caledonian Canal. We stayed at the marina that day for repairs and R&R.
Wednesday: Ascending the lochs up to Loch Ness. In the afternoon we arrived at the far end at a wonderful place called Fort Augustus.
Thursday we ascended further up to Loch Oich. On the other end we descended to Loch Lochy and ended the day at the top of Neptunes staircase. From here you could look down to the sea!
Friday: It took several hours descending the “staircase” to the sea by Fort William. We then continued South West to Oban. It was with some satisfaction we concluded that this was about as far south as the middle of Denmark. We thought of Norwegian sailors bragging about sailing that far south. We were at that latitude, but on the other side of Scotland!
Saturday we turned north up the sound of Mull to Tobermorry on the Island of Mull.
Sunday: Continued up the South Minch to Inverie and mainland U.K.'s most remote pub!
More to come :-))))))
I am actually waiting for the "new VT" to write my pages from this adventure. But I desided to throw in a few pictures already now :-)
Dep. 5pm Friday July 5, 2002 from Bjørge
Arr. Invernes 12 midnight Monday July 8.
Fort Augustus Wednesday July 10.
Fort William Thursday July 11.
Oban Friday July 12
Tobermory Saturday July 13.
Iverie Sunday July 14
Plockton Monday July 15
Portree Tuesday July 16
Stornoway Wedesday July 17 Left Friday July 19
Kirkwall Saterday July 20.
Fair Isle Monday July 22.
Lerwick Tuesday July 23. Left Friday July 26
Arr. Bergen Saturday July 27 2002
I am contradicting myself, because I have also started writing about the trip in my homepage travelogue "The Northsea"<A href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/27950/">http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/27950/</a>
- Pros:They have the single malt here
- Cons:Don't drink too much of it at once
- In a nutshell:Cheers!
Coming to the Shetlands, I felt as if we were soon home. There is 200 nautical miles of North Sea to cross though, and... more travel advice
Kirkwall is home of the Highland Park single malt, and we sure enough had a great tour of the distillery. The whisky was... more travel advice
- See All The adventure begins
- Anker dram
- The single malt is ofcourse an...
- Fair Isle is off the beaten path....
- Packing List
daarth's Related Pages
Scotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scotland For The Brave"
- "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
- "My Scotland page"
- "Alba, Caledonia, "God's Country"; this is Scotland"
- "Scotland: fascinating and impressive"
- "Ben-UK's Scotland page"
- "Scotland, a sassenach's view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scotland
- Hotels in Scotland
- Transportation in Scotland
- Nightlife in Scotland
- Restaurants in Scotland
- Shopping in Scotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Scotland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Scotland
- 82 Reviews
- 198 Photos
- 73 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Scotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scotland
Videos in ScotlandSee All Videos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergen Intro, 74 reviews, 127 photos, 7 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 35 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Puerto Banus Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geilo Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos