"Iceland Page" Iceland by daarth
Iceland Travel Guide: 6,412 reviews and 20,111 photos
I am an Icelandic citizen, but I was not born here and I don't speak the language! I inherited the citizenship from my father and have decided to keep it. Why not? It supports a good cause! (Iceland is a small country :-))
I lived in Iceland for a year as a kid, but don't feel competent to make a guide. Please check out some of the other fine sites here on V.T.
Let me instead dedicate this page to my grandfather, Magnus
My grandfather was a bookseller. Back in the 50’s and 60’s, there wasn’t a farm on Iceland he hadn’t visited. On the picture you can see the books he sold on one day! All this travelling he did on foot or hitched a ride if one was available. Distances are big on Iceland, and very often he was invited to stay the night.
What I remember him best for though, is his unique way of boiling potatoes! Across the road from his house (in Hveragerði), was a field of hot water and steam (we saw a geyser go up every day at 10 AM). From the hot water he had an arrangement of pipes to the house that went directly to the radiators for heating. A single pipe though, went to a box dug down in the garden. Here he placed the pot of potatoes and turned on the valve. Out came steam and in no time the potatoes were cooked!
There you go!
I have to mention that the potatoes were grown in the garden in healthy lava soil.
See the most famous waterfall Gullfoss. My father lived part of his childhood on the nearest farm here. There was no... more travel advice
daarth's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergen Intro, 74 reviews, 127 photos, 7 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 35 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Puerto Banus Intro, 8 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geilo Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos