"Iceland Page" Iceland by daarth

Iceland Travel Guide: 5,692 reviews and 17,120 photos

ICELAND - Land of my fathers

I am an Icelandic citizen, but I was not born here and I don't speak the language! I inherited the citizenship from my father and have decided to keep it. Why not? It supports a good cause! (Iceland is a small country :-))
I lived in Iceland for a year as a kid, but don't feel competent to make a guide. Please check out some of the other fine sites here on V.T.
Let me instead dedicate this page to my grandfather, Magnus

My grandfather was a bookseller. Back in the 50’s and 60’s, there wasn’t a farm on Iceland he hadn’t visited. On the picture you can see the books he sold on one day! All this travelling he did on foot or hitched a ride if one was available. Distances are big on Iceland, and very often he was invited to stay the night.

What I remember him best for though, is his unique way of boiling potatoes! Across the road from his house (in Hveragerði), was a field of hot water and steam (we saw a geyser go up every day at 10 AM). From the hot water he had an arrangement of pipes to the house that went directly to the radiators for heating. A single pipe though, went to a box dug down in the garden. Here he placed the pot of potatoes and turned on the valve. Out came steam and in no time the potatoes were cooked!

There you go!

I have to mention that the potatoes were grown in the garden in healthy lava soil.

• Intro Updated Apr 23, 2010

daarth Used To Live Here!

daarth

“In search of the single malt”

Badges & Stats in Iceland

Have you been to Iceland?

Latest Activity in Iceland