"Bergen - The city between the seven mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Bergen by daarth

Bergen Travel Guide: 945 reviews and 2,380 photos

I live here

Bergen is known as "The city between the seven mountains", and "gateway to the fjords". Our mountains are maybe not as high as the Alps, but we do have fjords that are unique and you will find nothing like them anywhere else. You have to see it to believe it. It’s like seeing the Grand Canyon on a picture and actually being there. It’s not the same. Just to make a point; Bergen is one of the most visited ports in Europe by cruise boats. Bergen is also Norways second largest city.

Some of the popular sites in Bergen:

Akvariet
Old Bergen
Stenersens Samling
Troldhaugen
Ulriken Mountain

When visiting Bergen there are a lot of things to see in and around Bergen. I will try to build travelogues of the different areas. The first one is in place and covers Nordnes.

Try the Livecam picture for view of Bergen from Fløyen at:
www.bergens-tidende.no/grafikk/kamera/floyen1.jpg

The mount Fløyen offers a spectacular view of Bergen! Try taking the funicular up (and walk down).

• Pros:An international city with a small-town charm and atmosphere
  • Cons:Bergen has a Coastal climate, and it rains a lot in periods.
  • In a nutshell:You have to see it to believe it.
  • Intro Updated Dec 15, 2010

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM

What a lovely city, David. You are blessed to live there.

• liliana91's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2012 at 5:28 AM

Beautiful city, and interesting tips.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I think we may *finally* get to Norway this year! Is there a big difference weather wise between mid July and mid August? Alesund is as far north as we'd go, I think.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Love your pics and the airport story... Thanks for sharing!

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I know the boats are all parked in the winter! But the boats in Greece are still sailing. Maybe you must come here? Nice Bergen pages.

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2010 at 10:58 PM

David--what a magical place you live in--love the Stave church and the red fire station--you habe bought your home alive for me--thanks. Dorrise

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM

How much is a Norwegian troll? On average, I mean? My mother-in-law is Norwegian and she had a troll for about 50 years and it was burnt during a house fire (my house)...

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Visited 1n 1953. Remember the rain, funicular railway, fish market, but more the ship plowing through millions of sardines as we came into harbour. And a paper doll I called Tuppence Sundt for some reason I now forget.Vague deja vu looking at your pages.

• Feb 27, 2010 at 4:18 AM

Hi! Very nice to see this page! I'm planning a trip to Bergen with family + a baby.I've seen a house in Leroy. Is it a nice plce to stay 4 days?Is it far from Bergen and difficult to reach?Are there pharmacies around,for the baby? Thanks for your answers!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2010 at 1:33 PM

David, I have missed so much in my lifetime, but through your tips and photos I found Bergen. Yes on a female heroine. You have Amalie Skram, we have Amelia Earhart, aviatrix. Smooth sailings, Larry

daarth Lives Here!

daarth

“In search of the single malt”

Badges & Stats in Bergen