"Marken" Top 5 Page for this destination Marken by Carmela71
Marken Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 134 photos
Marken is not far from Amsterdam, in the Ijsselmeer, an island now joined to the mainland by a land bridge.
It still has many wooden houses, and you can still see people wearing local costume, not just for tourists. You should at least visit the harbour.
We took a ticket for the buses all the day so we went to MARKEN, then a boat to VOLENDAM, where we dress in old dutch tipicall dresses as you can on the top (great time) . From volendam we took another bus to EDAM, just to enjoy its streets and shops (cheese everywhere)and of course the canals, we saw how the ships moved the bridges and things like that (something new for us) jeje and later we went to Zaanse Schans.
The island's wood-carving is famous and is demonstrated at the clog maker's, I have found that most of the people who visited Marken had this photo! hahahaha
This town does not go all over gushy for the tourists; it merely feeds and waters them, and allows them to wander around... more travel advice
Carmela71's Related Pages
Marken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marken - Island Life"
- "Marken, travel back in time"
- "A Former Island in a Former Part of the Sea"
- "Lovely seaside town"
- "Island of little green houses!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marken
- Hotels in Marken
- Transportation in Marken
- Restaurants in Marken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marken
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Marken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marken
Photos in MarkenSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 137 reviews, 133 photos, 7 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 110 reviews, 106 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 76 reviews, 118 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 90 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 78 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 84 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 74 reviews, 97 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 86 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almería Intro, 59 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 56 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues