"Tavira a paradise still not spoilt" Top 5 Page for this destination Tavira by Carmela71
Tavira Travel Guide: 208 reviews and 433 photos
It was a last minute decision, we looked on www.rumbo.es as usual for cheap accommodation in a few areas (Huelva, Almeria, Cazorla or Algarve) when looking in Algarve we founded a really cheap offer at Carvoeira (imagine 16 euros an apartment!) but as we had stayed in that area a few months ago we changed to Tavira (that Alex vt member micas_pt had recommended a while ago). We were really lucky for 25 euros a room and breakfast for two in a four stars hotel! I love to travel in low season ;-)
I was very impressed with the city and the area, and for sure we will be back as it is not as spoilt as Albufeira area and with more cultural interesting and nature places to visit.
Tavira also suffered at the famous earthquake of 1755 but still there are some reminds as the castle, old city walls and lots of churches. It used to be a fishing village but now tourism is getting more importance being the main industry.
Tavira is divided by the Rio Gilao in two parts. They are connected by some bridges. In the old times there used to be only one but now there are quite a few (even temporal ones!)
On both sides you can find the typical white houses and the fishing boats waiting for the fishing men to go to the sea….
And of course we can not forget the sunsets … if travelling with Beach_dog! But we enjoyed some different sunsets, much brilliant than the ones in Marbella
- Pros:Nature, Culture and Monuments
- Cons:Incorrect road signs ....
Chimneys are famous in Algarve it has been said that as much big and complicate the chimney as much richer were the... more travel advice
Tiles must be something very typical from the Mediterranean areas, but looking at this ones, I could feel I was in... more travel advice
Carmela71's Related Pages
Tavira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tavira a paradise still not spoilt"
- "Tavira: Pretty Town With Fascinating Urban Core"
- "Tavira a charming Town in the South East Algarve."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tavira
- Hotels in Tavira
- Transportation in Tavira
- Nightlife in Tavira
- Restaurants in Tavira
- Shopping in Tavira
- Warnings and Dangers in Tavira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tavira
- 23 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Tavira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tavira
Photos in TaviraSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 137 reviews, 133 photos, 7 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 110 reviews, 106 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 76 reviews, 118 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 90 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 78 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 84 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 74 reviews, 97 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 86 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almería Intro, 59 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 56 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues