"Tavira a paradise still not spoilt" Top 5 Page for this destination Tavira by Carmela71

Tavira Travel Guide: 196 reviews and 385 photos

It was a last minute decision, we looked on www.rumbo.es as usual for cheap accommodation in a few areas (Huelva, Almeria, Cazorla or Algarve) when looking in Algarve we founded a really cheap offer at Carvoeira (imagine 16 euros an apartment!) but as we had stayed in that area a few months ago we changed to Tavira (that Alex vt member micas_pt had recommended a while ago). We were really lucky for 25 euros a room and breakfast for two in a four stars hotel! I love to travel in low season ;-)

I was very impressed with the city and the area, and for sure we will be back as it is not as spoilt as Albufeira area and with more cultural interesting and nature places to visit.

Tavira also suffered at the famous earthquake of 1755 but still there are some reminds as the castle, old city walls and lots of churches. It used to be a fishing village but now tourism is getting more importance being the main industry.

Tavira is divided by the Rio Gilao in two parts. They are connected by some bridges. In the old times there used to be only one but now there are quite a few (even temporal ones!)

On both sides you can find the typical white houses and the fishing boats waiting for the fishing men to go to the sea….

And of course we can not forget the sunsets … if travelling with Beach_dog! But we enjoyed some different sunsets, much brilliant than the ones in Marbella

• Pros:Nature, Culture and Monuments
  • Cons:Incorrect road signs ....
  • Last visit to Tavira: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 9, 2005

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2007 at 5:03 AM

I will have a try at "O Patio" restaurant. Ciao!

• lloafer's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 4:49 AM

I found your tips on Tavira very useful. We are going there later this month so will check out some of your recommendations. Thanks Larry

• caldarrosta's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2006 at 12:10 PM

Hi I am planning 4 days in sud portugal.How's Tavira?we r looking 4 beach and going out in the night also!tks, Enzo

• coast2coast's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 12:34 PM

Nice photos and tips. Good pages! Thanks

• Maillekeul's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2005 at 4:10 AM

Splendid pics... Looks like I should subscribe to a permanent trip project in Portugal !!!

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2005 at 12:08 AM

Those roofs are interesting. Because it isn't uncommon in NL either!

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2005 at 1:58 AM

Senorita !! Stunning pictures :-))) I wanna go !!!! :-))))

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2005 at 2:59 PM

Glad you enjoyed Tavira Carmen! - great page and photos - brings back many memories for me.

• quartinb's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2005 at 2:58 PM

ola carmela,,,! que te gustas Tavira tanbien,,,and i garantee that pego once, was prettier than it is today! seems, a bit abandoned now!

• diageva's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2005 at 2:53 PM

Parece que si que es bonito, vaya chollo el hotel!!! luego vuelvo por si pones mas ... besos vecina

Carmela71

“Life is full of surprises Never say never”

Badges & Stats in Tavira