"Massada the Fortress" Top 5 Page for this destination Masada by Carmela71
Masada Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 522 photos
At 430 meters high above the Dead Sea (50 m above sea level), Massada (Hebrew for fortress) due to its shape, is a rhomboid mountain with flat top, ideal as fortress.
Originally Massada was established by Herod as a place of refuge and escape with some nice palaces, baths ...
The king equipped his mountain castle with all the luxuries of the Roman world and provided for a possible siege by storing large amounts of: food and other supplies.
He also dammed up the nearby Wadis to channel the flood waters of winter into the huge cisterns.
Right now Massada is most famous for the stand of the Zealots.
Massada was excavated by Professor Yigael Yadin for 12 months from 1963 to 1965.
The Israeli army and thousands of volunteers from 28 countries came to help.
Today, Masada is a popular tourist attraction because of it structures, beautiful view, and mysterious history.
- In a nutshell:Incredible place to visit
The entire border of Masada was enclosed by Herod with a casemate wall. A double wall with the inner space divided into... more travel advice
Basically in historical terms, we can say that Masada was Herod's royal city and later the last outpost of Zealots... more travel advice
Carmela71's Related Pages
Masada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Masada, Israel (a World Heritage Site)"
- "Once upon a time..."
- "Massada the Fortress"
- "Masada National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Masada
- Hotels in Masada
- Transportation in Masada
- Nightlife in Masada
- Restaurants in Masada
- Warnings and Dangers in Masada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Masada
- 17 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Masada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Masada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marbella Intro, 137 reviews, 133 photos, 7 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 110 reviews, 106 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 76 reviews, 118 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 90 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 78 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 84 reviews, 95 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 74 reviews, 97 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 86 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Almería Intro, 59 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valencia Intro, 56 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues