"CUBA" Cuba by swesn
Cuba Travel Guide: 5,282 reviews and 13,511 photos
CUBA 2003 >>
The land that is Castro and cigars
Crumbling colonial houses
And classic Chevrolet cars
Where everyone is meant to be equal
Every business, state-controlled
Food products, weighed and rationed
Rules and regulations, to be followed
Be surprised by the contrasts
Be shocked by the disparities
Be humbled by their lives
Be touched by their sincerities
... written by trisha
From MEXICO 2003...
My Cuban experience was one of mixed feelings.
I gapped at the colonial houses and 1950s Chevys with the giddy excitement of a child let loose in a toy-store. I was constantly floating around with the thought "I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M IN CUBA!". I puzzled over the disparities between what are offered to the US$-carrying tourists and what the locals can afford. I learnt bit by bit, how socialism is like on this island. I saw what was or was not on offer in the ration shops, Cuban-peso stores and local eateries. I queued with the locals and ate the same awful food and questionable syrup drinks.
Having such an eye-opening experience myself, I could not understand the determined and blatant ignorance of the sun-sand-sea-sequins tourists who come to Cuba for a week or two.
For more photos, please click
To FRENCH POLYNESIA 2003...
This region used to be the sugarcane plantation region. There are remnants of sugar mills, 19th-century manor houses,... more travel advice
Calle Obispo is touted as the main shopping street of Havana. OK, this is NOT Rodeo Drive. Indeed, there appear to have... more travel advice
- See All RENTED CARS
- WATCH A CUBAN MOVIE
- See All HAVANA : INTENSE DISCUSSIONS AT PARQUE...
- See All HAVANA : CHINATOWN
swesn's Related Pages
Cuba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cuba-once the land of the one US dollar notes"
- "The Island of Rum, Cigars, Old Cars and Music"
- "Cuba que linda es Cuba..."
- "Castro's Cuba"
- "My itinerary"
- "Streetlife in Cuba"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cuba
- Hotels in Cuba
- Transportation in Cuba
- Nightlife in Cuba
- Restaurants in Cuba
- Shopping in Cuba
- Warnings and Dangers in Cuba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cuba
- 70 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Cuba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cuba
Top 10 Pages
- Argentina Intro, 109 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 70 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 92 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 12 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 52 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chile Intro, 49 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 52 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Russia Intro, 44 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues