"CUBA" Cuba by swesn

Cuba Travel Guide: 5,233 reviews and 12,922 photos

CUBA 2003 >>

... +| Part of RTW 2002-2003 |+ ...

One country, three currencies
The land that is Castro and cigars
Crumbling colonial houses
And classic Chevrolet cars

Where everyone is meant to be equal
Every business, state-controlled
Food products, weighed and rationed
Rules and regulations, to be followed

Be surprised by the contrasts
Be shocked by the disparities
Be humbled by their lives
Be touched by their sincerities

... written by trisha

From MEXICO 2003...

My Cuban experience was one of mixed feelings.

I gapped at the colonial houses and 1950s Chevys with the giddy excitement of a child let loose in a toy-store. I was constantly floating around with the thought "I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M IN CUBA!". I puzzled over the disparities between what are offered to the US$-carrying tourists and what the locals can afford. I learnt bit by bit, how socialism is like on this island. I saw what was or was not on offer in the ration shops, Cuban-peso stores and local eateries. I queued with the locals and ate the same awful food and questionable syrup drinks.

Having such an eye-opening experience myself, I could not understand the determined and blatant ignorance of the sun-sand-sea-sequins tourists who come to Cuba for a week or two.

For more photos, please click

HAVANA

VINALES

TRINIDAD

CIENFUEGOS

To FRENCH POLYNESIA 2003...

Also, please travel with my articles at :

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY
( .. La Habana .. Vinales .. La Habana .. Trinidad .. Cienfuegos .. La Habana .. )

• Last visit to Cuba: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 4, 2004

Travelogues (1)

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Hi Trisha. I really enjoyed your tips and stories about Cuba; my ratings are definitely with you. I hope to visit this beautiful country one day soon! Greetings from sunny Dubai / Jess :-)

• PA68's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 4:52 AM

Enjoyed your Cuba places very much. heading over there in three days time and visiting all the same places. Thanks for sharing!

• susanpingu's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2006 at 12:54 PM

Very interesting travel page on Cuba - I think I get the most "feel" for the Cuba experience from you! Thanks!

• Jul 26, 2006 at 11:04 AM

I sampled Cuban cigars and Havana Club Rum in Havana in Fall 2003. But, I didnt find either to be superior to my favorite non-Cuban cigars & rum. I'm just as happy smoking Avos or Arturos, and drinking Matusalem or Zacapa.

• laney5's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2005 at 6:15 AM

Really enjoyed your Cuba pages- very useful info!

• Luisanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2004 at 9:54 AM

Having many Cuban friends and their stories......it just makes me want to go there....Very nice page....Luisa

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2004 at 7:02 AM

U do get around, chinese girl ;-)

• manuelEB's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2004 at 6:06 AM

Hola!!! TE acuerdas de mi?

• AnjaV's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2003 at 12:43 AM

Querida Chinita....You made one of the best Cuba pages at VT...You really do understand what Cuba is about!

• Umfufu's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2003 at 12:49 PM

I agree with Nomada... wonderfull page and showing that your dont NEED pics to make / give good info !

swesn

“Every second of every day you're faced with a decision that can change your life - make it!”

Badges & Stats in Cuba