Russia Transportation Tips by swesn
Russia Transportation: 115 reviews and 121 photos
Gorgeous metro stations in Moscow
Do take some time to study the art and design around the famous Moscow metro stations, the chandeliers, the paintings and mosaic displays, the Soviet details on the lamps, when you take the metro.
Kievskaya, Komsomolskaya, Mayakovskaya, Novokuznetskaya, Park Kultury, Belorusskaya, Revolutsii Ploshchad are some lovely ones. The Muscovites should be so proud.
I had difficulty buying train-tickets from train station because the women at the counters could not speak English (which I perfectly understand and never expect them to speak English anyway) and refused to be creative and patient in helping out.
For example, after stating ‘St. Petersburg’, the woman barked at me in rapid Russian, most likely ‘what time’ and ‘which train’. I could only look at her helplessly. If she had written down the time and train number in NUMBERS, I would be able to point to one and the sale could be done. But she simply yelled at me to leave.
At the Central Rail Agency near Chistye Prudy, I was brought to the only woman who spoke English. She reluctantly helped me write down the destination and time so that I could return to the counter to show to the person selling the tickets. In a way, I got help, so I was very grateful.
Bearing in mind the difficulties, you might want to buy tickets from a travel agency and pay a commission. Your alternative choice is to get someone who understands English and knows Russian to write down the details on a piece of paper for you to show to the sales-person. Otherwise, perhaps by pure luck, the person queuing behind you speaks English and can help you.
'World Cup' bikini hung on display - any takers?
Take Train 5 that departs from Ulaan Baator in Mongolia, rather than the trains from the other parts of Russia.
See SIBERIAN SHOPPING. On this train, the long journey to Moscow is constantly interrupted by a hive of activity at each train stop as the Mongolian traders rush up and down the train to sell goods to the Russians.
In a way, it is a good insight to glimpse at how isolated the Siberian towns are and how desperate these townfolks are to obtain material goods.
More Reviews (41)
- See All MOSCOW : ONION-DOMED CHURCHES
- See All MOSCOW : VERNISAZH MARKET
- See All LAKE BAIKAL : SMOKED FISH
- See All IRKUTSK : LAKE BAIKAL
swesn's Related Pages
Russia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What an interesting country & great architecture !"
- "Once upon a time in Russia..."
- "Russia - my native country"
- "Russia is my second home"
- "Sharrie's Russia Kremlin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Russia
- Hotels in Russia
- Transportation in Russia
- Nightlife in Russia
- Restaurants in Russia
- Shopping in Russia
- Warnings and Dangers in Russia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Provincia de Valverde Hotels
- Lago di Garda Hotels
- Pulau Nunuyan Laut Hotels
- Chelyabinskaya Oblast'
- Alghero Hotels
Badges & Stats in Russia
- 77 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Russia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Russia
Top 10 Pages
- Argentina Intro, 109 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 70 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 92 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 12 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 52 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chile Intro, 49 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 52 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Russia Intro, 44 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Top Russia hotels
- Moscow Hotels
- 4008 Reviews - 9130 Photos
- Saint Petersburg Hotels
- 3411 Reviews - 7105 Photos
- Vladivostok Hotels
- 229 Reviews - 533 Photos
- Murmansk Hotels
- 73 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Irkutsk Hotels
- 184 Reviews - 632 Photos
- Krasnodar Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 168 Photos
- Volgograd Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Chelyabinsk Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Voronezh Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 76 Photos
- Omsk Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 252 Photos
- Samara Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 89 Photos
- Novosibirsk Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 405 Photos
- Kostroma Hotels
- 117 Reviews - 517 Photos
- Kazan' Hotels
- 162 Reviews - 440 Photos
- Yekaterinburg Hotels
- 164 Reviews - 333 Photos