Russia Warnings Or Dangers Tips by swesn
Russia Warnings and Dangers: 98 reviews and 70 photos
Policemen milling around touristy areas
Despite having our visa registered, we still faced problems. We learnt that police, especially in Moscow, were hunting down tourists, asking for their passports and then, claiming that something is wrong with their visas. They naturally requested for an on-the-spot fine from the tourists.
This happened to Ben and he refused to pay. He then spent five hours at the police station, arguing. I was lucky, I was checked in Irkutsk but the police said nothing.
In one morning walking around Moscow, I counted seven or eight tourists being stopped by police. Gosh.
According to the Lonely Planet guidebook, I learnt that I had to have my visa registered within three days of arrival in Russia.
To get a Russian visa, you need an invitation letter. If you obtain your invitation letter from a travel agency or hotel, you can go to these places and have your visa registered upon arrival. But if you obtain your invitation letter over the internet, you need to find a travel agency or hotel that, for a fee, is able to register it for you.
At Ulaan Ude, my friend Ben went to a random travel agency and got it done right away. Irkutsk was my first city and I eventually found that Hotel Angara was able to register it for me for R200. Hotel Angara is located at the main square ploshchad Kirova of Irkutsk. For other cities, I am unable to advise.
Some hotels will make sure your visas are registered before accepting you as a guest.
In St. Petersburg, I was trying to check into a hostel stated in the guide-book, Petrovskogo College Student Hostel and found two tourists in front of me arguing with the woman-in-charge. She kept claiming something was wrong with our visas. She expected it to be REGISTERED for every night we stayed in Russia. But it was not possible as some nights, we were on trains and other nights, the hotels we stayed in simply did not stamp anything on our visas. It was confusing and frustrating. We simply did not understand what was going on. Neither did she, we suspected. To be safe, she only took in Russian tourists, I guess.
More Reviews (42)
- See All MOSCOW : ONION-DOMED CHURCHES
- See All MOSCOW : VERNISAZH MARKET
- See All LAKE BAIKAL : SMOKED FISH
- See All IRKUTSK : LAKE BAIKAL
swesn's Related Pages
Russia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What an interesting country & great architecture !"
- "Once upon a time in Russia..."
- "Russia - my native country"
- "Russia is my second home"
- "Sharrie's Russia Kremlin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Russia
- Hotels in Russia
- Transportation in Russia
- Nightlife in Russia
- Restaurants in Russia
- Shopping in Russia
- Warnings and Dangers in Russia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lofoten Hotels
- Pittsfield Hotels
- Boca del Rio Hotels
- Svartsö Hotels
- County Kerry Warnings and Dangers
- Valletta Warnings and Dangers
- Marathon Warnings and Dangers
- Sveti Stefan Warnings and Dangers
- Tap water
- Luquillo Warnings and Dangers
- Wyoming Warnings and Dangers
- Milos Island Warnings and Dangers
- Be Aware / Be Prepared
- Land Critters
- Utrecht Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Russia
- 77 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Russia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Russia
Top 10 Pages
- Argentina Intro, 109 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 70 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 92 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 12 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 52 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chile Intro, 49 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 52 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Russia Intro, 44 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Top Russia hotels
- Moscow Hotels
- 4023 Reviews - 9185 Photos
- Saint Petersburg Hotels
- 3483 Reviews - 7366 Photos
- Vladivostok Hotels
- 229 Reviews - 533 Photos
- Murmansk Hotels
- 73 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Volgograd Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Yekaterinburg Hotels
- 165 Reviews - 337 Photos
- Kostroma Hotels
- 117 Reviews - 517 Photos
- Ufa Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Petrozavodsk Hotels
- 159 Reviews - 350 Photos
- Novokuznetsk Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 57 Photos
- Sochi Hotels
- 91 Reviews - 279 Photos
- Krasnodar Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 168 Photos
- Voronezh Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 76 Photos
- Irkutsk Hotels
- 186 Reviews - 633 Photos
- Chelyabinsk Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 23 Photos