"RUSSIA" Russia by swesn
Russia Travel Guide: 14,132 reviews and 35,674 photos
RUSSIA 2002 >>
Siberia in my hair, soot on my face
Lulled by the rhythmic 'TUK-tuk-TUK-tuk'
Towards the orange sunset, we chased
'Hello' and 'Goodbye'
Tongue-twisting, four syllables
Surly and sour looks
Coaxed a smile out? It's a miracle
Onion-domed churches, clashing in colours
State treasure, opulence in abundance
Soviet-era statues, abandoned in parks
Metro stations, grand and resplendent
... written by trisha
From MONGOLIA 2002 ...
Russia was a country that I felt quite apprehensive before I entered. The language was one problem and I simply did not know what to expect.
Well, I had had many irate Russian women inexplicably yelling at me. I had had a lot of 'Nyet Nyet Nyet's thrown at me. I had difficulties getting assistance in a store or train station. I had to avoid police for fear they would find something wrong with my visa and if I refused to pay the 'fine', they would haul me to the police station. There were people who did not look at me, much less smile at me, when I talked to them. I just could not find relatively cheap and good eateries anywhere. I was hungry all the time in Russia.
Yes, I felt rather defeated at the end of my trip. But what a great learning experience! For every successful attempt at buying grocery or food, I congratulated myself. It made me appreciate every little successes.
Despite everything, and aided by my fond memories of a dancing babushka (grandmother) in Irkutsk, the nice young man queuing behind me at the train station who spoke some English and helped me out in St. Petersburg and the wonderful host Galina in Moscow, I will surely return to Russia one day.
The next time, I hope to be braver, more positive and able to handle the tough situations better.
Da svidanya... da vstrechi! (Good bye... See you next time!)
For more photos, please click :
To POLAND 2002 ...
There are numerous gorgeous onion-domed Russian Orthodox Churches scattered all over Moscow. They are so beautiful... I... more travel advice
There are many gorgeous architecture all over St. Petersburg, such as this golden-dome of the St. Issac's Cathedral.... more travel advice
- See All MOSCOW : VERNISAZH MARKET
- See All LAKE BAIKAL : SMOKED FISH
- See All IRKUTSK : LAKE BAIKAL
- See All MOSCOW : INTERNET CABINS
swesn's Related Pages
Russia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What an interesting country & great architecture !"
- "Once upon a time in Russia..."
- "Russia - my native country"
- "Russia is my second home"
- "Sharrie's Russia Kremlin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Russia
- Hotels in Russia
- Transportation in Russia
- Nightlife in Russia
- Restaurants in Russia
- Shopping in Russia
- Warnings and Dangers in Russia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Russia
- 77 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Russia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Russia
Top 10 Pages
- Argentina Intro, 109 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 70 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 92 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 12 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 52 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chile Intro, 49 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 52 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Russia Intro, 44 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (23)
Top Russia hotels
- Moscow Hotels
- 4008 Reviews - 9130 Photos
- Saint Petersburg Hotels
- 3411 Reviews - 7105 Photos
- Vladivostok Hotels
- 229 Reviews - 533 Photos
- Murmansk Hotels
- 73 Reviews - 152 Photos
- Irkutsk Hotels
- 184 Reviews - 632 Photos
- Krasnodar Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 168 Photos
- Volgograd Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Chelyabinsk Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Voronezh Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 76 Photos
- Omsk Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 252 Photos
- Samara Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 89 Photos
- Yekaterinburg Hotels
- 164 Reviews - 333 Photos
- Novosibirsk Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 405 Photos
- Kostroma Hotels
- 117 Reviews - 517 Photos
- Kazan' Hotels
- 162 Reviews - 440 Photos