"MANU NATIONAL PARK" Manù by swesn
Manù Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 129 photos
Manú National Park is a biosphere reserve located in Madre de Dios and Paucartambo, Cusco.
Due to its inaccessibility, this region was thankfully conserved before the Peruvian government designated it as a national park. The park remains fairly inaccessible by road to this day, you need a very tough day of bus travel round and round the mountains and then, 1/2 a day of boat ride.
It was recognised as a Biosphere Reserve in 1977 by UNESCO and was pronounced a World Heritage Site in 1987. It is the largest National Park in Peru.
The park protects all ecological zones that exist in the Amazon, from 150m to more than 4200m above sea level. Because of this range, it has one of highest biodiversity of any park in the world. It is a great destination for observing birds, as it is home to over 800 species of birds, nearly the total for all of North America.
Macaws & parrots gather at the salt licks everyday. This is a phenomenon not really studied, e.g. how often does an... more travel advice
swesn's Related Pages
Manù Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Manù
- Hotels in Manù
- Transportation in Manù
- Restaurants in Manù
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manù
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Manù?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manù
Top 10 Pages
- Argentina Intro, 109 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 70 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 92 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 12 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- China Intro, 52 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chile Intro, 49 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cuba Intro, 52 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Russia Intro, 44 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues