"vivimero's new Budapest Page" Budapest by vivimero

Budapest Travel Guide: 7,773 reviews and 18,087 photos

After months of silence in my trips finally here I am with our 4 days trip to Budapest. It was a very charming town, half "asburgo" and imperial and half Eastern Europe. We had a tour guide called Lilla that was very nice. Unluckily my usual synus ruined my first day and when we arrived at the hotel we didn't found the rooms ready so I was tired and not at all happy about the idea of Lilla of a candle light dinner on a boat on the Donau. The other said that was amazing and very very nice, delicious food...I was envious the day after, Paolo and I went to the square after Vaci Utca and had a good soup (cheese for me and veggie for Paolo) and some chicken. But my synus was terrible.

First tip: hungarians learnt from the american quite a lot so...when you ask for the bill (check) they do not put the service on the bill BUT they want the 10% 15% for them. You are almost obliged, and this is pretty unfair also because in the 80% of cases they are not very good, friendly and they do not understand a word of what you are saying. Our hotel was the TAVERNA, in the pedestrian area. It was good but beware:Hungary doesn't have A/C at all (neither in the airport) and the temp. was absolutely july-august...(and I had some winter clothes in the suitcase!).

The visit of the town started without having the rooms...but it was worth because Budapest is really a nice town. Romantic, buildings are great.We crossed the bridge (Elizabeth's) and we were in BUDA. Then we climbed up till the CHURCH of KING Mathias (not a saint) and the Fisherman 's Peak where there is a view of the town.Then the bus drove us all around and through the Ponte delle Catene we arrived in Pest once again and we saw the Parliament, that is on the Donau and that reminds of the London'one. Infact the engeneer used the projects of the London Parliament but mixed styles to make it more hungarian.Inside there are 27 stairs. Opposite there is the Etnographic museum, in a wonderful building and then there is the concert house- (that is not the Opera). The Opera is in a wonderful palace with staues of the composers and coloured marble.Under a sun that resembled august, we arrived to the Heroes Squares with the Unknows Soldier statue. This square is the only one that reminds a russian Budapest under the comunism as it's huge, big and used for military parades. Hungarians changed all the names are they really don't want to remember that times.In the same square there is the contemporary art museum (they played EVITA over there) and the zoo (with the famous elephant house in art noveau style) and the luna park.Budapest is really green and full of parks. Island Margherita, in the middle of Donau, is a huge park of 2,5 km lenght and with some gardens.Last visit for the first day was the St. Stephen church (under renovation) that has inside the hand of the saint.

26 May 2000: After a huge breakfast (I finally ate again the leben wurst that I really loved in Germany when I visited Jessica) we left for a trip outside Budapest, visiting the Donau area.It's green, countryside where people have a second house. Along the way we visited Aquincum with Roman antique sites. First town visited was ESZTERGOM with a view area on the Donau.Government wanted to built a dam over there but was really a shame for the view that they were going to delete.There is a Bridge that was destroyed in 1945 that connected with SLOVAKIA, is a natural border. They never rebuilt the bridge, now the finally approved the projects.We visited the cathedral ,where is buried a famous cardinal, hero of Hungarian Church under the russian oppression, and that was taken back to his country by the POPE as he died in Rome. This cardinal (honestly...I don't remember the name)....MINDSZENTY was a refugee from 1956 to 1971 inside the USA Embassy till the vatican asked him to leave and took him to Wien.We also visited the GOLD of the church, you can see original objects that really astonish you.

Then we arrived in VISEGRAD a very grren town.We had lunch in the Panorama restaurant (I learnt that Restaurants is ETTEREM in magyar....)and we had the good Goulasch soup (paprika and paprika is the secret) and we all bought the picture with the hungarian girl at the end.Very touristic...I know but we really loved how we turned out.Then we visited the town of S.ANDREA (SZENTENDRE) that is a very touristic place and we visited shops, walked along the river boardwalk (reminded Paolo of the nice town on the Delaware river New Hope) and we had a ice- cream...for the price of 800 lire! and we bought some embrodery for my mom (is the thing to buy) and the lovely crystal glasses that I really wanted since ages. I liked the Herend porcellains but when I found out the price of a single tea cup I left hopes.But I do like the butterfly series..just in case you want to give a me a surely loved wedding gift next year!!! :)

Saturday was a free day, all for ourselves. So we had breakfast (Paolo likes breakfast buffets!!!!) and we walked along the Vaci Utca to reach the market, that is located inside a old railstation. Inside there are stands with all the food : salami, pate' ect..and upstairs embroedery and crystals (more embrodery). We passed the bridge and arrived at the Gèllert hotel, where thermals are but unluckily Paolo left home the bathing suit (as he usually do when we are in seaside) so we just spent 300 F. for the visitor'ticket but the wonderful was inside the thermal baths.For men only: there are also thai massages!

We walked along the river, but we forgot that walking inside the gardens apposite to the hotel there is a cave with a monk church.On the other side of the Gèllert there is the University. Soon we arrived below the Royal Palace. There is really a ferry-train that leads you up to the Palace but climbing the gardens is nicer, are all steps and it's in the shade. I did it so it was not really hard.The Palace has wonderful terraces with the view on the town.Inside now there are no rooms to visit but museums and the national library. Walking around for the HUGE palace is anyway great, there is a fountain with hunt scenes (Paolo loved it) and reminded us of the Trevi 'fountain. (because is on a wall, ect....). Curiosity:the gate on the back side is like a crow on the tree. very unique.

Then we walked down, this time from the left side of the gardens. We did a walk along the river again to reach the Church with the maiolica roof, that is lutheran. But unluckily was closed and we were not able to go inside.We crossed the bridge and met the Bolzan'family so we decided to have lunch together. We choose (I did...honestly...because I saw the previous day the boat and I was curious) a boat anchored where there was a buffet. It was 1490 F. and the choice of food was wide. Meats, veggies...and the best were:

a kind of "cotoletta" floating in a cheese sauce with ham slices (Yummi!)
milk & rice with fruit salad
orange and chocolare cake (sweets are great in Hungary)
deep breaded fried potatoes
meat balls
talking about food, we went out for dinner with all the group on friday night and we went to a typical restaurant " 12 Apostoles" with wooden chairs. We ate really good food. Marco tried the Transylvanian meat combo dinner, I tried the "veal slices with pineapple sauce and potato croquette", and they were both delicious.The restaurant is located in the same street where the Herend shop is located, in Vaci Utca area. sweets, ice-creams and cakes can be tasted in a nostalgical cafe' where Sissi used to go (in her castle there is a painting that shows a 60 years old Sissi coming out from Gerbaud).

Sunday, last day.. :( we had the visit of the castle of GODOLLO the favourite palace of Sissi. They are renovating the property because russians ruined it.It was yellow originally and I prefer it that way but hungarians painted it pale pink because it was the favourite nuance of Sissi. After that...a short walk under a terrible heat on the S.Gerardo Hill with a breathtaking view of Budapest...and the airport...(with no A/C).

Worth to visit!!!!

• Last visit to Budapest: May 2000
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

vivimero

“I love to travel, write, meeting new friends...pen-palling”

Badges & Stats in Budapest

Have you been to Budapest?

Latest Activity in Budapest