"Honeymoon in Airlie Beach" Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach by Steve-H
Airlie Beach Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 727 photos
Airlie only has a population of 2000 people but there is year round tourism and the town is always busy. Based around one main street the lively atmosphere of this tiny community is suitable for all ages and caters to all tastes. Whether its sailing, snorkelling, sunbathing, shopping or just partying you can always find something to do in Airlie, there are boats to the Barrier Reef and the Whitsunday Islands and even champagne sunset cruises.Its no secret now but ex-beatle George Harrison had a home just off shore on one of the small islands, close to the wonderful resort of Hayman Island, not too far from the mainland or the Whitsunday Islands.
Gateway to the Great Barrier Reef, Airlie Beach is a small tourist town in sub-tropical Queensland (Latitude 20 15.5S Longitude 148 43.2E), about the same distance from the equator as Hawaii.
The entry point to the beautiful Whitsunday group of 72 islands, discovered by Captain James Cook in 1770. Most of the islands are National Park, with only eight having homes or resorts. The islands are less frequently known as the Cumberland and Northumberland Island group, and are all remains of a range of mountains submerged 6000 or so years ago. Virtually all the islands, and the adjoining coast, have fringing coral reefs, and many tourists perhaps fail to realise that, although beautiful, these magnificent fringing reefs are not the corals of the Great Barrier Reef some distance further out to sea.
Airlie Beach is at the foot of the Conway Ranges and National Park. More than half the 2650 square km Whitsunday Shire is National Park. Whitsunday Shire is 1200 kilometres north of the state capital Brisbane, about 160 kilometres north of Mackay, and 300 kilometres south of Townsville.
Airlie Beach is one of relatively few eastern seaboard towns in Australia with a north facing sea aspect. Weather and sun for beach and seaside life are at their best in such north facing towns, which also include Noosa, Byron Bay, and Port Douglas.
Airlie Beach is sited in a natural ampitheatre, open along the seaside. There is less than 500 metres of flat land at the widest point between the coast and the hills. Once the hills are developed, there basically isn't any more land in Airlie Beach.
The Lagoon, opened in early 2001, is a new feature between the main street and the sea, and allows year round swimming in a safe area, especially for families. This was partially funded by a $8 million contribution from the State government. Please note however that parking near the lagoon is on a Pay and Display system, and costs around $4 a day.
It was almost off season during our stay, quiet compared to some places but still hot and sunny and hard to see how Airlie Beach got it`s reputation as a party town.
Our best man/ ringbearer/ bridesmaid etc The amazing Amanda who came up from Melbourne to help us on our big day, she did a good job of calming Steff`s nerves.
- Pros:A wonderful little place.
- Cons:It`s expanding all the time.
- In a nutshell:Go there before too many people discover it.
The B&B is just across the road from the sea, just down the road from the Lagoon and the shops, it`s quiet and friendly... more travel advice
The Lagoon, opened in early 2001, is a new feature between the main street and the sea, and allows year round swimming... more travel advice
- See All Wouldn`t this be a great place to live?
- Gorgeous gear from Melbourne.
- Don`t feed the Cockatoo`s
- See All At sea with friends.
Steve-H's Related Pages
Airlie Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "'Whitsunday Wonderland'"
- "Airlie Beach"
- "Airlie Beach - Venue for the big 2009 OZ VT Meet"
- "Whitsunday Wonderland 2009 Big Downunder Meet"
- "Honeymoon in Airlie Beach"
- "Thursday night meet & greet"
- "Airlie Beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Airlie Beach
- Hotels in Airlie Beach
- Transportation in Airlie Beach
- Nightlife in Airlie Beach
- Restaurants in Airlie Beach
- Shopping in Airlie Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Airlie Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Airlie Beach
- 19 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Airlie Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Airlie Beach
- Posted in Travel Whitsunday Islands Forum "Re: Airlie beach, Port Douglas..."
- Wrote a Review This is why it`s called the... in Airlie Beach Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "This is why it`s called the Waterfront B&B."
- updated a Airlie Beach Travel Page "Honeymoon in Airlie Beach"
- Commented on one of apollopat's Airlie Beach travel pages
Photos in Airlie BeachSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maidstone Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Ibiza Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 29 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitsunday Islands Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos
- Jamaica Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos
- Rhyndaston Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Ébéon Intro, 27 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guernsey Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos