"A west coast highlight." Fremantle by Steve-H

Fremantle Travel Guide: 536 reviews and 1,141 photos

My visits to Fremantle

2003. In the teeth of a howling gale and rain like i've never seen before, Jaime announced `We are going to Fremantle` It was worth the trip, we enjoyed the Covered Market and a few hours in Little Creatures, my favourite bar in Western Australia (so far) Although we shot a lot of video footage and a lot of it was wonky for obvious reasons, we only came away with 2 pictures ( and a few headaches) So back we went in 2005 and had a great time again, this time we got the bus though.
In 2010 we went again, this time for the Fremantle Chile festival, I got bored really quickly so off we went once again that haven of good beers, Little Creatures.

2010, The Fremantle Chilli Festival.

What timing! I arrived in time for the annual Chilli festival, was a bit miffed to find out it was $25 to get in though. There were the usual suspects, people who think they can cook chilli, they can't and there are plenty who try, real chilli isn't full of kidney beans & it was never intended to be made with minced meat either - a bit of a disappointment but I expected it so I passed by and sought out the interesting stuff. There were the usual rows of stalls all selling their own brand of home made hot sauce, most of them had shopped at the same place because they all seemed to be using the same bottles, one stall stood out as my favourite because the owner had bothered to import the best sauces from around the world.
The outstanding feature of the event were the static displays of chilli plants, you could get up close & see what the various fruits actually look like, there were also lots of nurseries selling plants for you to take home and nurture. A quick visit to the beer tents, set aside in their own area, a few photos and off to Little Creatures. A nicely organised event, very clean, bins for recycling were everywhere, well attended but a little pricey.

A tribute to Bon Scott

Former AC/DC front man Bon Scott is buried in Fremantle, there is a statue to his memory on the promenade.

• Pros:If you love boats, you`ll love Fremantle
  • Cons:Too much to do in one day
  • In a nutshell:We`ll just have to go back (to Little Creatures)
  • Last visit to Fremantle: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Apr 16, 2010

Steve-H

“NO BAR TOO FAR!”

Badges & Stats in Fremantle

Have you been to Fremantle?

Latest Activity in Fremantle