"Ancient Saintes." Saintes by Steve-H
Saintes Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
In roman times Saintes was the provincial capitol and many of the old buildings are still here. In the picture behind the amphitheatre you can also see the Saint-Pierre Cathederal, only the dome over the south transept remains from the 12th century, the reconstruction in the 15th century was interupted by some idiots fighting a war for religious reasons ( as usual )
There are many historical sights around the town and the Charente river that flows through it`s center is also worth a boat trip but as we were staying out in the countryside the purpose of our visit was shopping, Steff took the oppertunity to grab a few more pairs of shoes while i repaired to the nearest bar, well it looked like it was going to rain.
- Pros:Sightseeing and shopping
- Cons:The euro has pushed the prices up.
- In a nutshell:An interesting and rewarding visit.
Saintes was an important place for the romans and they have left plenty of evidence of their stay here, the... more travel advice
Steve-H's Related Pages
Saintes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ancient Saintes."
- "A little town full of history, architecture, music"
- "Saintes, FR"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saintes
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Saintes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saintes
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maidstone Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Ibiza Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 29 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Whitsunday Islands Intro, 34 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos
- Jamaica Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos
- Rhyndaston Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Ébéon Intro, 27 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Airlie Beach Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guernsey Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos