"One of America's best preserved Victorian towns" Marshall by SilverVelvet
Marshall Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 57 photos
About three hours east of Chicago or two hours west of Detroit, there is a special little gem that is one of America's best preserved small towns from the Victorian era. The railroads were the backbone of the town's wealth and its secret status as a well known stop on the underground railroad held a special place in the town's heart.
In addition, the people were so confident that Marshall would become the state capital that they built the governor's mansion before the election. Imagine their surprise when they lost by one vote. Today, the mansion is one of nearly 150 beautifully preserved homes and public buildings. Welcome to Marshall, Michigan.
* Discovering Victorian Marshall
* Gardening festival, a floral photo feast
* Historic homes
* Tranquil charm around town
(If you enjoy historic American towns such as Marshall, visit DaKat's "Natchez" page to discover one of the most beautifully preserved anti-bellum towns in the Old South)
McClain home, 303 N. Marshall Ave., Marshall, MI The McClain home, a Queen Anne built in 1887 with Gothic alcove roofs,... more travel advice
Marshall hosts several popular annual events including the autumn home tour in which 10 to 15 of the private homes and... more travel advice
SilverVelvet's Related Pages
Marshall Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of America's best preserved Victorian towns"
- "Paxgothica's new Marshall Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marshall
- Hotels in Marshall
- Transportation in Marshall
- Nightlife in Marshall
- Restaurants in Marshall
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marshall
- 13 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Marshall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marshall
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Salsa dancing in Puerto Rico?"
- updated a Marshall Travel Page "One of America's best preserved Victorian towns"
- Uploaded a Photo to "One of America's best preserved Victorian towns"
- Wrote a Review McClain home, 303 N. Marshall... in Marshall Favorites
Photos in MarshallSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Detroit Intro, 29 reviews, 145 photos, 15 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 42 reviews, 81 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marshall Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ann Arbor Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 8 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nice Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mainz Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos, 2 travelogues