"Gozo - The Quiet Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo by Xemx
Gozo Travel Guide: 496 reviews and 1,370 photos
A holiday in Malta is not complete unless one hops over to the sister island of Gozo. It only takes a 20 minute ferry ride to reach this tiny island. Measuring around one third the size of Malta it is just nine miles long by five miles wide.
The Maltese love to travel to Gozo to relax or enjoy a holiday away from the sometimes too noisy Malta. Travelling between the two islands is a normal way of life for some Gozitans who go to Malta to study in the university or to work. However, the family is close to the heart and a visit back to Gozo during the weekends is a must!
Gozo has a character quite distinct from Malta; it has fortunately remained unspoilt and is greener and more spectacular. Its flat-topped hills and intensely cultivated fields characterize the landscape. The surrounding coast has rugged cliffs, steep valleys and beautiful inlets.
The photo on the left is of Mgarr Harbour, which is the scene you will see as you approach the island.
Gozo's main historical attractions are the megalithic temples of Ggantija which date back to around 4000 years BC; the Citadel in Victoria; Mgarr Harbour; the church of Ta' Pinu; the bays of Marsalforn, Xlendi and Ramla l-Hamra; the Azure Window, Fungus Rock and the Inlet Sea in Dwejra; Calypso's Cave; some of the quaint villages, such as Ghasri and Ghajnsielem.
(My Gozo tips are still under construction)
- Pros:Quiet, unspoilt, friendly people, beautiful landscape
- Cons:Difficult to tour the island unless you have your own transport
- In a nutshell:Relaxation and Beauty!
A short 20-minute ferry ride from Malta transports you to Gozo. The trip is very pleasant, unless it's done on a stormy... more travel advice
I really need to try out another restaurant in some other part of Gozo than Xlendi...I keep going back there because... more travel advice
Xemx's Related Pages
Gozo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gwl, Gaulos, Gaudos, Ghawdex... Gozo"
- "Jeep Safari around Gozo"
- "Gozo - The Quiet Island"
- "Beautiful Gozo"
- "Gozo - The Island of Calypso"
- "Dive Gozo... work later!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gozo
- Hotels in Gozo
- Transportation in Gozo
- Nightlife in Gozo
- Restaurants in Gozo
- Shopping in Gozo
- Warnings and Dangers in Gozo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gozo
- 18 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Gozo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gozo
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 19 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Perth Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Fremantle Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Attard Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vittoriosa 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cospicua 1 review, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bugibba 7 photos, 1 travelogue