"Charming Fremantle" Fremantle by Xemx
Fremantle Travel Guide: 536 reviews and 1,141 photos
I first visited Fremantle in 1966, when travelling by ship with my family from Melbourne to Malta. It was the first stop made on a 21-day journey. Travelling between Melbourne to Fremantle was a rough ride and I was glad to feel firm ground underneath my feet at last...even if it was only for a day :-) Since then I have visited Fremantle a few times and each visit does not fail to bring back past memories of that day. Fremantle has changed over the years but I'm glad to say that it's been for the better. Many of the old Victorian buildings have been beautifully restored and the city is a monument in itself.
Fremantle is named after Sir Charles Howe Fremantle was the captain of the HMS Challenger. He took possession of the Western Coast for Britain in May 1829. Settlers from Britain followed soon after and established the Swan River Colony.
The city is quite lively especially during the weekends and evenings with its many festivals, art exhibitions, outdoor concerts and street performances. I particularly enjoyed walking along the South Terrace which is also known as the Cappucino Strip. It is lined with coffee shops...people sit outside at their tables enjoying a chat and drinking their coffee.
The main attractions of Fremantle are:
- The Round House
- Fremantle Prison
- Town Hall
- Fishing Boat Harbour
- The Maritime Museum
- Pros:Rich maritime and cultural heritage
- Cons:None that I can think of.
This is a very tiny little shop but has a large selection of beautiful and authentic antiques. I just couldn't tear... more travel advice
I guess the Fremantle Markets are special because apart from the mixture of arts, crafts, clothing and food you can... more travel advice
Xemx's Related Pages
Fremantle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Fremantle"
- "Gateway to the west"
- "Fremantle - Port And Old Town"
- "Adventures in Freo"
- "VT Meet at Fremantle"
- "in --- Fremantle --- around"
- "Fremantle ~ A Charming Port City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fremantle
- Hotels in Fremantle
- Transportation in Fremantle
- Nightlife in Fremantle
- Restaurants in Fremantle
- Shopping in Fremantle
- Warnings and Dangers in Fremantle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fremantle
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Fremantle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fremantle
Photos in FremantleSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 19 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gozo Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Perth Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Fremantle Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Attard Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vittoriosa 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cospicua 1 review, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bugibba 7 photos, 1 travelogue