"LAS ISLAS GALAPAGOS- 8 day cruise on the Encantada" Galápagos Islands by Kindra
Galápagos Islands Travel Guide: 1,057 reviews and 4,380 photos
You may be able to see some spectacular things in Ecuador but even the most amazing are likely to pale in comparison to what you can experience in the Galapagos Islands. This place is really magical and unique and though it can be expensive, it is super worthwhile. If you intend on visiting Ecuador, save up the money and take the time to travel to the Galapagos. The best way to see the islands is on an 8-day cruise since most of the islands are more than an easy day trip from the 4 inhabited islands. Cruises can go from economical all the way through to deluxe first class. In any case, they will be more expensive than you anticipate but again, very worthwhile. I did a tourist-superior class boat which was small and intimate. We got to see everything I could have imagined and more, had pretty good food, adequate living space, a fantastic guide and crew, and of course, no matter what you pay for the cruise, the landscape doesn't change. It is all fantastic.
In our 8 day trip we were able to experience a good mix of the northern and southern islands:
Day 1: Black Turtle Cove - but we missed it because Aerogal was HORRIBLE and we ended up with major mechanical issues throughout the 3 flights and were over 8 hours late
Day 2: Rabida and Bartolome Islands (Sullivan Bay and Lookout)
Day 3: Genovesa Island (Darwin Bay, Prince Phillip's Steps)
Day 4: South Plazas Island, Charles Darwin Centre in Puerto Ayora
Day 5: Floreana: Post Office Bay, The Devil's Crown, Punta Cormorant
Day 6: Espanola: Suarez Bay, Garden Bay Beach
Day 7: San Cristobal, Lobos Island and Santa Fe
Day 8: North Seymour Island
Prepare for a lot of sea safaris (on a zodiac), flat-ish hiking in a lot of heat, and lots of snorkeling.
Prepare for swimming with lots of beautiful tropical fish, a variety of sharks, big sea turtles, sea iguanas, lots of friendly sea lions and even penguins
Prepare to see tons of birds: all three types of boobies (blue footed, red footed and masked), albatross (in season at Punta Suarez), frigates, owls, fur seals, penguins, a BILLION SEA LIONS (and it never gets old), huge tortoises etc.
Prepare to be amazed. For the most part, the animals have no fear of the humans (except the fur seals) and basically ignore you as you come by, except for the baby sealions who can be very curious and may break the 1 metre distance rule and come up and sniff or kiss you! (or the occasionally boobie that might feel his space is a little threatened and start to squeak or even charge you with his beak!)
- Pros:An amazing experience with wildlife and landscape unparalleled in the world
- Cons:Its expensive, but WORTH IT
- In a nutshell:Breathtaking
Our last excursion before embarking on land in Baltra and having to take our flight back to the mainland (and for me it... more travel advice
This is a small island just off the coast of San Cristobal Island where Kicker Rock (Leon Dormido) is just a few hundred... more travel advice
Kindra's Related Pages
Galápagos Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Galapagos Islands"
- "Places and faces of the Galapagos"
- "Independently Galapagos"
- "A world apart"
- "The Enchanted Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galápagos Islands
- Hotels in Galápagos Islands
- Transportation in Galápagos Islands
- Nightlife in Galápagos Islands
- Restaurants in Galápagos Islands
- Shopping in Galápagos Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Galápagos Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galápagos Islands
- 18 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Galápagos Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galápagos Islands
Photos in Galápagos IslandsSee All Photos (128)
Top 10 Pages
- Montreal Intro, 63 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 18 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 23 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 21 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mompós Intro, 18 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 24 reviews, 66 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 43 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 15 reviews, 47 photos