"Tortuguero and Samay Laguna" Tortuguero by Kindra
Tortuguero Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 325 photos
I only spent an afternoon in the actual Tortuguero village, wandering through the dirt paths that connects the small centre of town to the Caribbean beaches, the Natural History Visitor Centre and the Entrance to the Tortuguero National Park.
Located on a small strip of land sandwiched between a series of milky coffee-coloured canals and the wild Caribbean sea and its black-sand beaches, Tortuguero is a small town that is centred on fishing and tourism. Hordes of tourists flock to the area to tour the canals and visit the National Park making this small town quite hectic. I in fact was surprised by the number of foreigners I saw in the area; while this makes for me a less authentic experience, it is nevertheless very important for the residents of this region, many of whom depend on employment based on tourism.
The rest of my three-day trip was centered in Samay Laguna, a tiny community made up of less than 20 people located about 1 hour boat ride north of Tortuguero and just south of Barro Colorado. This area can ONLY be reached by boat via the many canals of the area, including the coca-cola coloured waters of the Rio Suerte.
Please refer to my travelogues for a recount of my weekend and the pictures that accompany it.
You can hire a guide and navigate the canals by motorized boat, canoe or in kayak. You may be able to see crocodiles,... more travel advice
Tortuguero Village is sandwiches between the canals and the Caribbean sea- this blacksand beach can be polluted, is full... more travel advice
Kindra's Related Pages
Tortuguero Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Village and the Park"
- "This is it!"
- "Rain Forest Visits"
- "Undeniably unforgetable & unique!"
- "Turtle spotting"
- "The Lonely Hunter"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tortuguero
- Hotels in Tortuguero
- Transportation in Tortuguero
- Nightlife in Tortuguero
- Restaurants in Tortuguero
- Shopping in Tortuguero
- Warnings and Dangers in Tortuguero
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tortuguero
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Tortuguero?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tortuguero
Photos in TortugueroSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Montreal Intro, 63 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 18 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 23 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 21 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mompós Intro, 18 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 24 reviews, 66 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 43 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 15 reviews, 47 photos