"TAGANGA - gateway to the Caribbean" Taganga by Kindra
Taganga Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 185 photos
A tiny town that is often short on water but not on neither sunshine or gorgeous waters and beach, is often overlooked in favour of its much bigger neighbour Santa Marta or the exquisite Tayrona National Park which lies an hour east.
Its popularity with Israelis hasn't yet translated to a more mainstream, widespread tourist market and this is part of its charm. The town is small with only 5,000 people and most of its inhabitants lived modestly off of fishing. Nevertheless, a good number of well-priced, high quality hostels and decent restaurants and bars make up the town's infrastructure. Just don't forget to take cash out before you arrive - there are no cash machines!
Relaxation is the main activity in Taganga. The beach in the front of town is nice, though not quite spectacular though close to nice restaurants and stands selling freshly blended fruit shakes. A 15 minute walk through a desert landscape with stunning views of the bright aquamarine waters below will lead you up, over and down to Playa Grande. This small beach is a perfect place to chill, sun tan and bathe in the crisp, cool waters. Restaurants on site can provide you with food and drink options at a higher price so bring the necessities with you. If you are game, people are on the beach ready to oil you up and give you a relaxing massage for a small fee!
In addition to beach bumming, there are other activities: like fishing! You can talk to one of the fishermen down at the beach and arrange several hours on the boat in the morning fishing. All of what you catch you can take home and cook up that night!
- Pros:Stunningly gorgeous, bright, friendly, great beaches
- Cons:This place rocks- I can't see any cons
- In a nutshell:Don't skip this place in favour of Tayrona- spent time in both!
This is the city of half a million people just around the mountain 15 minutes from Taganga. Many find the city seedy,... more travel advice
After your boat ride or 15 minute hike from Taganga, you will arrive at the nice, wide though small beach of Playa... more travel advice
Kindra's Related Pages
Taganga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Taganga - a place to relax"
- "Worth a Taste: Taganga"
- "One of the nicest and quietest places.."
- "TAGANGA - gateway to the Caribbean"
- "HEAVEN AND HELL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taganga
- Hotels in Taganga
- Transportation in Taganga
- Nightlife in Taganga
- Restaurants in Taganga
- Shopping in Taganga
- Warnings and Dangers in Taganga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Taganga
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Taganga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taganga
Photos in TagangaSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Montreal Intro, 63 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 18 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 40 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 23 reviews, 80 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 21 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mompós Intro, 18 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 24 reviews, 66 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 43 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 15 reviews, 47 photos