"Losing litres of sweat on Mount Errigal" Dunlewy by Alain_Smeets

Dunlewy Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 13 photos

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dunlewy, a small town in the County Donegal, well I never heard about this place while I was looking into the lonely planet from Ireland. But me and my friend wanted to do a lot of hiking and the Mount Errigal was mentioned there.

Driving over the winding Irish roads gives you the impression of a flat landscape but when then all of a sudden you see Mount Errigal peaking in the distance and you have a point to fixate on. This is the mountain we are going to hike up to in an half hour. When you drive around it, he looks impressive.

Mount Errigal is the highest point of the County Donegal and stands 751 metres tall. This mountain is cone shaped and ends in a peak. But when you go up, you will notice two peaks when you arrive at the top. We parked our car at the car park and there are many people who are doing the hike towards the top.

I can tell you that the hike towards the top isn't easy. It starts in a green meadow, but then it starts going up and yes here are also the loose rocks again, it seems that all mountains in Ireland have these loose rocks. (It brings back memories to Croagh Patrick). The hike to the top is hard for me, I'm out of shape. But the sights compensate that. Once at the first top I realise that I need to go further to the second one and oh my, my fear of heights is playing up. But the landscape is breathtaking just like the hike to the top.

• Pros:A Hell of a hike and an amazing scenery from the top
  • Cons:Loose rocks and slip sliding away
  • In a nutshell:Sweating to get to the top and loosing even more sweat going down!!!!!
  • Last visit to Dunlewy: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 18, 2004

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2005 at 5:09 AM

Love the Gaelic roadsign pic as it reminds me of driving through Dungloe without realizing it was Dungloe back in 1999 That would not happen to me today as I now understand the language :-))

Alain_Smeets

“We don`t regret the things we did, but the ones we didn`t do.”

Badges & Stats in Dunlewy

Have you been to Dunlewy?

Latest Activity in Dunlewy