"Roaring excitement at Victoria Falls !" Victoria Falls by Alain_Smeets
Victoria Falls Travel Guide: 443 reviews and 1,074 photos
"No one can imagine the beauty of the view from anything witnessed in England. It had never been seen before by European eyes, but scenes so lovely must have been gazed upon by angels in their flight" (Livingstone 1857)
I have always dreamed about exploring the unknown as I was a child, like finding the spring of the Nile or peddling up the Amazone to explore the river. You can imagine then that I listened very carefully to the story of Livingstone and his explorations in Africa, when the teacher told us about it in Geography and history lessons.
The explorations stuff I can forget because what can one explore at this moment with a tight budget, right the known places. But when I could go on the trip with the Zimbabwe wildlife and I saw that we stayed a few days in Victoria Falls, all these dreams can back to life.
Victoria Falls is a place where one can dream, dream about the past, when the first Europeans explored this region. But it’s also a place where one is zapped back to reality because were else does one see the big gap between the modal tourist and the Zimbabweans who try build their life here.
There are lot of things to do for a tourist in Victoria Falls, you can spend lot’s of money in the excitement industry that is booming in this place. But start relaxing and go to the Victoria Waterfalls and just enjoy the sights and feel the spray when the wind is blowing it towards your face. Welcome the rainbow that you can see always at this great falls. For more photos you can see my travelogue: “The thundering Vic Falls”.
Near the falls there is a small tropical rainforest they you can explore, but what to think about a thrill ride on the river. There is this company Shearwater who organizes a white water rafting trip on the mighty Zambezi and if you want to experience life until your toes, go for it, join them in a breathtaking trip on the river. If are wondering what it means to be swallowed in “Midnight Dinner” then you shall find the answer in my travelogue: “Rafting on the roaring Zambezi”.
A member of our group decided to do a Bungy jump from the bridge over the Zambezi river, he’s crazy if you ask me and lot’s of people, but he enjoyed it, you can see some photo’s of his jump on my travelogue: “Jumping of a perfectly good bridge sounds stupid” on my page of Livingstone, Zambia.
But one can find also more relaxing things to do in Victoria Falls, like going on a sunset cruise. The ingredients are very simple, you just board a boat and they serve you with food and drinks while the cruise on the upper Zambezi. They try to spot wildlife for you and when the sun is about to set, they throw anchor and you can make beautiful pictures of the African sunset. You can find these photos on my travelogue: “A sunset cruise on the Zambezi”
Or when you want to taste some of the African culture you can join in for some traditional dancing in the village. It’s a great informative show, you can see some photos in my travelogue: “traditional dancing”
As you can see there are lot of things to do and experience in Victoria Falls, just go with the flow, and then I mean with the tourist flow and not with the water of the Zambezi. Or why not follow dr. Livingstone’s advice and see the falls from an angels perspective?
- Pros:Rainbows, rafting, so many things to do
- In a nutshell:Be as roaring as the falls itself
It sounds very stupid to jump from a perfectly good bridge with elastic tied around your ankles. But some people need... more travel advice
A sunset cruise on the Zambezi is a nice ending of the active day. You go on board around 16h00 and the boats are going... more travel advice
Alain_Smeets' Related Pages
Victoria Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""The Smoke that Thunders""
- "Victoria Falls, the smoke that thunders"
- "VICTORIA FALLS, ZIMBABWE"
- "Victoria Falls - The smoke that thunders."
- "Twenty-six hours at Victoria Falls"
- "THE BEAUTIFUL SIDE OF THE FALLS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Victoria Falls
- Hotels in Victoria Falls
- Transportation in Victoria Falls
- Nightlife in Victoria Falls
- Restaurants in Victoria Falls
- Shopping in Victoria Falls
- Warnings and Dangers in Victoria Falls
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Victoria Falls
- 6 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Victoria Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Victoria Falls
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: holding our breath"
- Commented on one of sachara's Victoria Falls travel pages
- Wrote a Review A bungi jump in Victoria Falls Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "A flight over the falls."
- updated a Victoria Falls Travel Page "Roaring excitement at Victoria Falls !"
Photos in Victoria FallsSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Machu Picchu Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Port Douglas Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 6 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Molenbeersel Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lier Intro, 2 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chobe National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Victoria Falls hotel reviews
- HOTEL MERCURE RAINBOW
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- The Kingdom at Victoria Falls
- 219 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Elephant Hills Hotel Victoria Falls
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Victoria Falls Safari Lodge
- 311 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Victoria Falls Hotel
- 459 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Drifters' Victoria Falls Inn
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 15, 2013
- Victoria Falls Backpackers
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- &Beyond Matetsi Water Lodge
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Savanna Lodge
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Azambezi River Lodge
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Ilala Lodge
- 261 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Sprayview Hotel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 20, 2013
- Hotel Mercure A'Zambezi Victoria Falls
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Shoestrings Lodge
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013