"Meeting new friends in Pinar del Rio" Top 5 Page for this destination Pinar del Río by Alain_Smeets

Pinar del Río Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 104 photos

Persons on the photo: Marinette, Wim, Juan Carlos, Frank, Marijke, Indira and me.

Our visit to Pinar del Rio in the northeast of Cuba has some very special memories for me. It started with the trip from Vinãles to Pinar where we took a ride in the back of a truck. We wanted to experience the way of travelling the Cubans do. We met a Japanese guy on this truck, who travelled across Cuba in this way. He says, when you have time and no money, this is the way to travel in this country. (See my travelogue "Hacer la Botella" from Vinãles to Pinar Del Rio.)

When we got out of the truck, we found us a new friend and we had lots of fun with this guy and his family and friends. They gave us some extra dance lessons and that was great fun. We were not feeling as guests here, but we felt to be their friends. We did a lot of fun things together. At the end of our stay we had to say goodbye with sorrow in our hearts, but we had to go on with our trip. (See my travelogue Dancing in the moonlight with our new friends)

But before we left, we explored this little city together with our friends, (see my travelogue Walking in Pinar del Rio) and off course a visit to Pinar means also a visit to the tobacco area of Cuba and we visited the cigar factory and with a trick we got inside a tobacco farm. (see my travelogue Cigars and an "illegal" visit to a tobacco farm)

Especially this last visit brings back good memories, because we got into an area that was off limit for outsiders.

• Pros:Friendly people, great area to dwell
  • Last visit to Pinar del Río: May 2000
  • Intro Updated Sep 14, 2003

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2006 at 3:33 AM

Great page. I'm looking forward to visiting it myself.

• lorgnierl's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2003 at 10:45 AM

some memories came back too

• kaloz's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2003 at 12:37 AM

Your travelogues are wonderful, full of rich stories. You really took the time to get the inside scoop.

• dabuwan's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2003 at 3:59 AM

Excellent travelogues with lots of info and great pics. Really a nice travel story. Well done!

Alain_Smeets

“We don`t regret the things we did, but the ones we didn`t do.”

Badges & Stats in Pinar del Río

Have you been to Pinar del Río?