"The mythical Inca city at the end of El Camino" Machu Picchu by Alain_Smeets
Machu Picchu Travel Guide: 684 reviews and 1,949 photos
For many people is Peru a synonym for Machu Picchu, tell them that you go to Peru and they will immediately ask if you are going to Machu Picchu. It’s a mythical place and that’s why everybody who goes to Peru and Cusco will end up in Machu Picchu, the old mountain. It was the highlight of our trip and it was also the end of our trip.
We did a 4 day walk across the Inca trail to get there and we saw lot’s of things and had a very good time although it was hard sometimes. But in the end seeing Machu Picchu made it worth while. All the endurance, hardship accompanied by the amazing scenery, old ruins, good friends and a good team around the guides made this trip an experience never to forget.
So join me in the footstep of the Old Inca’s en explore the region via the ancient Inca trail and set foot in Machu Picchu and see the wonders that the Inca’s build. Remember Inca’s build to last, all those buildings survived earthquakes and the Spanish buildings collapsed. It’s a sad relic of what once was a mighty empire that stretched from Chili to Ecuador. It learns us also that when people don’t respect each others culture and beliefs, you can have a big destructive power. So luckily Machu Picchu was already forgotten by the Inca’s in the time that the Spaniards arrived.
Machu Picchu the perfect ending of a perfect trip.
- Pros:History, buildings and sweat
- Cons:history of mankind (mankind is destructive)
- In a nutshell:Walk the Inca trail and sit in excitement when you see this ancient city.
The campgrounds on the Inca Trail are all excellent and foreseen from good facilities. They have long drops (it takes a... more travel advice
Machu Picchu was built by the Incas during the 15th century but was mysteriously abandoned sometime before the time of... more travel advice
- The ruins of Intipata
- From Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- Pack light
- The Quchichaqa
Alain_Smeets' Related Pages
Machu Picchu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Inca Trail"
- "Machu Picchu"
- "Magical Machu Picchu in Rainy Season"
- "Lost City of the Incas"
- "This is what we call sharing on the Inca Trail"
- "EL CAMINO DEL INCA - DAY 1"
- "Machu Picchu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Machu Picchu
- Hotels in Machu Picchu
- Transportation in Machu Picchu
- Nightlife in Machu Picchu
- Restaurants in Machu Picchu
- Shopping in Machu Picchu
- Warnings and Dangers in Machu Picchu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Machu Picchu
- 20 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Machu Picchu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Machu Picchu
Photos in Machu PicchuSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Machu Picchu Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Port Douglas Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 6 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Molenbeersel Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lier Intro, 2 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chobe National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues