"The mythical Inca city at the end of El Camino" Machu Picchu by Alain_Smeets

Machu Picchu Travel Guide: 654 reviews and 1,827 photos

For many people is Peru a synonym for Machu Picchu, tell them that you go to Peru and they will immediately ask if you are going to Machu Picchu. It’s a mythical place and that’s why everybody who goes to Peru and Cusco will end up in Machu Picchu, the old mountain. It was the highlight of our trip and it was also the end of our trip.

We did a 4 day walk across the Inca trail to get there and we saw lot’s of things and had a very good time although it was hard sometimes. But in the end seeing Machu Picchu made it worth while. All the endurance, hardship accompanied by the amazing scenery, old ruins, good friends and a good team around the guides made this trip an experience never to forget.

So join me in the footstep of the Old Inca’s en explore the region via the ancient Inca trail and set foot in Machu Picchu and see the wonders that the Inca’s build. Remember Inca’s build to last, all those buildings survived earthquakes and the Spanish buildings collapsed. It’s a sad relic of what once was a mighty empire that stretched from Chili to Ecuador. It learns us also that when people don’t respect each others culture and beliefs, you can have a big destructive power. So luckily Machu Picchu was already forgotten by the Inca’s in the time that the Spaniards arrived.

Machu Picchu the perfect ending of a perfect trip.

• Pros:History, buildings and sweat
  • Cons:history of mankind (mankind is destructive)
  • In a nutshell:Walk the Inca trail and sit in excitement when you see this ancient city.
  • Last visit to Machu Picchu: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2003

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 12:29 PM

great! I put it in my wish-list! :)

• glyndywyr's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2007 at 7:17 AM

Firstly Happy Birthday. We are going to Peru in May and have read your report with great interest. regards Glyn D

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Excellent Page!!! MP has been my dream vacation for a long time, now i'll definitely take in consideration to do the Inca trail! Thanks for the info!

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2006 at 7:02 AM

I should like to make the Inca Trail . If I do will follow your recomendations

• Bushman23's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 8:57 AM

wow, couldn't find macchu pichu info that clear anywhere else! Great work!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2005 at 4:09 PM

Great MP pages! Agree with the definition of POOR on your home page.I always found the happiest people seem to be in the poorest countries! ·:*¨`*:·~My§ticÄl~·:*." TIM

• wujoo's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 10:40 AM

great page ! good photos and useful information, can't wait to go MP !

• butterfly_girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2005 at 6:30 AM

*Thanks for the tips...I will be there in April!

• GaryAlan's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2004 at 11:27 AM

You've got impressive photos and commentary!! Really striking! I've been wanting to do the Inca Trail for some time. Without guides for at least some of it -- taking eight or so days and hopefully be able to explore some of the side trails.

• Narviking's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2004 at 3:33 PM

Interesting page. Hopefully I will visit Machu Picchu next year. Greetings from Norway !

Alain_Smeets

“We don`t regret the things we did, but the ones we didn`t do.”

Badges & Stats in Machu Picchu

Have you been to Machu Picchu?

Latest Activity in Machu Picchu