"Eploring Cheung Chau by bike" Cheung Chau by Alain_Smeets
Cheung Chau Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 53 photos
Cheung Chau Island, has the shape of a dump bell, and is situated 10 kilometres (6.2 miles) southwest of Hong Kong Island. It's a small island of just 2.5 square kilometres. But it's one of the most crowded of all the outlying islands, with a population of around 30.000. And then to think that Cheung Chau means "long island", but in a sense that is true, it's long and narrow when you look onto the map.
Also historically, this island is seen as one of the oldest islands in Hong Kong, it used to be a fishing village occupied by pirates. Already 2.500 years ago it was inhabited by a fishing community.
Today, with its natural beauty - the wide and deep bays, the island became the marketplace where fishermen and merchants get together, and it's a popular tourist hot spot favoured by day trippers.
We spend here a nice small day exploring this tiny island by bike. The narrow streets, the temples and the sights make this island worth while to spend an relaxing day.
- Pros:A nice island for a relaxing day
- In a nutshell:If you look for some time outside the busy city of HK this is a place to go to.
Travelling via the Tung Wan Beach, passing the ancient carved rock and passing the helicopter-landing path, we lead our... more travel advice
The Pak Tai Temple (is dedicated to the Taoist "Supreme Emperor of the Dark Heaven" or as you can say the lord of the... more travel advice
Alain_Smeets' Related Pages
Cheung Chau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CHEUNG CHAU - A Fascinating Island"
- "Eploring Cheung Chau by bike"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cheung Chau
- Transportation in Cheung Chau
- Restaurants in Cheung Chau
- Shopping in Cheung Chau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cheung Chau
- 6 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Cheung Chau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cheung Chau
Photos in Cheung ChauSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Machu Picchu Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inishmore Intro, 14 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Victoria Falls Intro, 6 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Port Douglas Intro, 4 reviews, 45 photos, 5 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 6 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Molenbeersel Intro, 7 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lier Intro, 2 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chobe National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues