"Eco diving in Dahab" Top 5 Page for this destination Kawm ad Dahab by Weener

Kawm ad Dahab Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 331 photos

Sea Cucumbers and Crown of Thorn Starfish!

I visited Dahab on a work trip. I learnt to dive, and took part in marine conservation surveys, eco diving, and learnt a lot about the environment and eco system of the red sea.

We studied sea cucumber populations vs Crown of Thorn starfish populations. Crown of Thorn's are a natural predator of the coral reefs, and sea cucumbers eat the larve of said starfish. However sea cucumber populations have decreased, due to edible cucumbers being taken for meals, a particularly favoured dish of Asia.

With an increase of the Crown of Thorn, means a decrease of coral, thus a decrease of coral reef fish.

Fascinating and vital studies!

Picture is of me and my husband snorkelling!

• Last visit to Kawm ad Dahab: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 12, 2005

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Happy birthday Erica, I was in Dahab earlier this year.

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Great tips... i cant wait to go in November :)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2005 at 11:45 PM

Dahab sounds like a great destination for a work trip! I plan to visit a few days later this year and I'm really looking forward to that.

• vdoortje's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2004 at 5:56 AM

Thank you, Erica, for these nice comments on Dahab. I am sure I will try the restaurant you recommended. And climb Mt.Sinai! My Egyptian friend promised he would carry me up there ;-)

• LotusV8's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 4:51 AM

Truly a very spectacular divingspot on the earth. Dahab is a cool place! best reg. Per

Weener

“Live with the past, enjoy the present, trust the future”

Badges & Stats in Kawm ad Dahab

Have you been to Kawm ad Dahab?

Latest Activity in Kawm ad Dahab