"ilulissat - town near the huge icefjord" Ilulissat by hanspeter_W.
Ilulissat Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 49 photos
The iceberg town Ilulissat means icebergs in Greenlandic, and the town has a beautiful location at the mouth of the 56 km long ice fjord that is filled with enormous icebergs from the most productive glacier in the northern hemisphere, Sermeq Kujalleq.
The biggest icebergs end up getting stranded at the mouth of the ice fjord at a depth of 225-250 metres, and they do not work free until the tide is sufficiently high or until they are so eroded that the iceberg’s centre of gravity is altered. In 2004 Ilulissat Icefjord was admitted onto UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
- Pros:unique landscape of ice and earth
- Cons:a bit far
The excursion to the Eqi Sermia glacier it gives you the opportunity to get very close to the inland ice and to see the... more travel advice
the most exciting trip you can do in/around ilulissat is surely doing the icefjord midnight cruise or if time of year... more travel advice
hanspeter_W.'s Related Pages
Ilulissat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ilulissat - town near the huge icefjord"
- "UNESCO world heritage site in Greenland"
- "A month in Ilulissat"
- "The Dogs of Ilulissat"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilulissat
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Ilulissat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilulissat
Photos in IlulissatSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- State of Sabah Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos
- Burma Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Gonder Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos
- South Korea Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bohol Intro, 12 reviews, 40 photos
- Phuket Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos
- Nicaragua Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos