"akosombo -world famous dam of volta lake" Akosombo by hanspeter_W.
Akosombo Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 23 photos
The Akosombo Hydroelectric Project (Akosombo HEP), usually referred to as the Akosombo Dam, is a hydroelectric dam in southeastern Ghana in the Akosombo gorge on the Volta River. The construction of the dam flooded the Volta River Basin, and the subsequent creation of Lake Volta. Lake Volta is the world's largest man-made lake, covering about 3.6% of Ghana's land area (Fobil 2003).
The primary purpose of the Akosombo HEP was to provide electricity for the Aluminum Industry (Zakhary 1997). The Akosombo HEP was called "the largest single investment in the economic development plans of Ghana" (GHP 2007). Its original electrical output was 912 MWe, which was upgraded to 1020 MWe in a retrofit project that was completed in 2006.
The flooding to create the Lake Volta reservoir, displaced many people and had a significant impact on the environment (Gyau-Boakye 2001).
In the beginning of 2007, there were concerns over the electricity supply from the dam due to lower water levels in the Lake Volta reservoir. Some sources say these are due to problems with drought that are a consequence of global warming. During Q3-Q4 of 2007, much of this concern was abated when heavy rain fell in the catchment area of Volta River.
starting from akosombo continental hotel for around 40 minutes ..nice speedboat trip to the volta dam along the river... more travel advice
hanspeter_W.'s Related Pages
Akosombo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Artificial Lake - Volta"
- "akosombo -world famous dam of volta lake"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akosombo
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Akosombo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akosombo
Photos in AkosomboSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- State of Sabah Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos
- Burma Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Gonder Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos
- South Korea Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bohol Intro, 12 reviews, 40 photos
- Phuket Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos
- Nicaragua Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos